General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Headlights flip up when you lock the car?

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2005, 12:07 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Headlights flip up when you lock the car?

Has anybody ever heard of the headlights flipped up on an LS1 Trans Am when you lock the doors? Usually, when I press my key fob to lock the doors, the horn sounds and fog lamps/drls flash. Tonight, I get to my buddy's house and turn my lights off. Well, I hear a grinding noise like the drive side headlight is stuck. I get out of the car only to see that the headlight was already in the down position when the motor was making the grinding noise. I go back and shut my car and as I'm walking up the driveway I click my keyfob to lock the doors. I hear a noise so I turn and look and my headlights were flipping up (there weren't lit up, just them flipping up) while the horn sounded and drls/fog lamps flash. When the headlights go back down, the driver side headlight started grinding again AFTER getting into the down position the same way it did when I first got there. I felt like I was in the bermuda triangle or something because it wasn't doing that earlier today nor ever in the passed. I checked it numerous times afterwards and it kept doing this same thing. I haven't touched ANY of the wiring on the car since I bought it. Anybody know what causes it or how to fix it? Any help is appreciated.
Old 08-30-2005, 08:38 AM
Teching In

Default im in the same boat

dude last night the exact same thing started happening to me only it was the passanger side. the only thing i touched was the driver side fog light. it had never happened to me all though earlier yesterday the same light decided not to flip up so i go back and flip the switch agian and it flipped up this time and went down normally so i thought nothing of it...then last night on the way to my buddys and stopped at the gas station turned my lights of and heard that terrible sound... but just like you said i feel like im in the bramuda cause its never happened to me before last night and now it wont stop... im thinkin i need to replace the motor... its like it keeps tryin to go down once its already down but i dunno why it decided to start flipping up when i lock or unlock my car in the first place
Old 08-30-2005, 01:04 PM
Teching In

Some guys on another board told me that it was the solenoid in the headlight motor going out. It will cost anywhere between $300-$400 and about 15 minutes to fix it. They also gave me this website to give info on the fix: Headlight Fix
Old 08-30-2005, 05:10 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Your headlight motor is going bad. What happens is the cheap *** plastic gear in the motor gets the teeth worn down causing it to spin more than it should. Your lights "reposition" them self basically when you hit the button. I have tried using the brass gears that they make but the covers never want to stay back on.

Best thing to do is buy just the motor. Call SDC and talk to Kevin. He can hook you up.

ive replaced all 4 of mine on my 2 ws6's.
Old 08-31-2005, 10:36 AM
TECH Veteran

GM part numbers for the motors....

12335999 - Driver side
12335998 - Pass. side
Old 08-31-2005, 11:33 AM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Me too

Mine is bad too, I know how to fix it, I've just been too lazy to do it. I've been more worried about getting all my new performance goodies working together.

I may just buy a new one, what was the cost when you bought yours?

What does SDC stand for?

Last edited by transam1998; 08-31-2005 at 11:38 AM.
Old 08-31-2005, 12:57 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by transam1998
Mine is bad too, I know how to fix it, I've just been too lazy to do it. I've been more worried about getting all my new performance goodies working together.

What does SDC stand for?
Scoggin Dickey Chev -------> sponsor

cant remember...i got them through my work. (acdelco warehouse) but i dont think they were too bad expensive.
Old 08-31-2005, 07:37 PM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by BLKWS6
Scoggin Dickey Chev -------> sponsor

cant remember...i got them through my work. (acdelco warehouse) but i dont think they were too bad expensive.

Thank you much!
Old 09-03-2005, 08:42 PM
Import Patrol

don't waste your money on a motor or a sel. take off your motor, crack the top off, rotate the gear a 180degrees, put it back, glue the cover back on put the motor back in, and wash your hands, that problem is solved
Old 09-05-2005, 03:36 AM
Teching In

Thank God I'm not the only one this has happened to. I thought i was going crazy for a minute. Looks like another weekend of fixing the car is in order.
Old 09-17-2005, 09:33 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by ImportPatrolWS6
don't waste your money on a motor or a sel. take off your motor, crack the top off, rotate the gear a 180degrees, put it back, glue the cover back on put the motor back in, and wash your hands, that problem is solved
you dont have to open the motor to flip it. all you have to do is disconnect the rob that connects to the motor and then use the manual control for the headlight and keep turning it until that little rob sticking out of the motor does a 180 and then connect the rod back up
Old 06-27-2020, 08:57 AM
Teching In

Default 2000 Trans Am

I am also having the same problem. My right side headlight was making a grinding sound when it went down. I had the actuator replaced and that took care of the grinding noise however my headlight are going up and down every time I lock or unlock the car. I have been getting answers that its the gears in the actuator but that has been replaced to the electrical module for the headlight. Right now I am not sure why they are doing this. Would like to know why and get it fixed.
Old 06-30-2020, 09:35 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

That is a classic symptom of stripped gears one side or the other and the issue has been discussed in these forums many times (even more recently than 15 years ago). I suspect that you have stripped gears in the left side motor that wasn't replaced. It is also possible for the gear in the replaced motor to have stripped since installation - possibly as soon as the first time it was used.

Old 06-30-2020, 05:50 PM
On The Tree

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default I just fixed mine the other day

Originally Posted by transam1998

What does SDC stand for?

because my motor broke a while back and i got a new one from rock auto and the internal metal gear i got from amazon.com for 22.00 dollars each and i made sure i got the new headlight motor for the corvette that unscrews and you dont need to use epoxy goopy gloppy sloppy slobby gooey mess to glue it back together just 3 small phillips screws and boom done in all of 3 minutes for the swap...
as far as the headlights going up and down when you lock your car im not sure why sometimes it does it and sometimes it does not....it might have to do with the fog light switch and what position its in if the lights pop up when locking the car with the switch before shutting the door or using the key fob.... have not figured that one out yet...
my light motor was like 42 or 44 bucks and i already had the metal gear so easy fix...
good luck...

Jennifur

Quick Reply: Headlights flip up when you lock the car?