General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Where is my parking lamp relay located on a 98 trans am?

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2005, 02:46 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Where is my parking lamp relay located on a 98 transam?

Where is my parking lamp relay located on a 98 transam? I ordered a new one from rock auto but I cannot find where it is to replace it...don't see anything under the drivers side knee panel that looks like it....
Old 10-27-2005, 09:38 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

Your car doesn't have a parking light relay as such. There is a theft deterrent relay that is used to flash the parking lights when arming and disarming the alarm system and there is the DRL module which controls the daytime running lights and contains relays for the parking lights and headlights.

The theft deterrent relay is under the dash, above the floor tunnel, attached to the inflatable restraint module bracket. The DRL module is mounted behind the radio on the defroster duct just to the left of the glovebox.

This may be a silly question but why would you order a part without knowing where it goes? What was the problem with your parking lights that led you to order it? Just curious...
Old 10-27-2005, 01:13 PM
Teching In

Default GM dealer said there is one under the dash to the right of the steering wheel

The GM dealer said there is one under the dash to the right of the steering wheel...he said its called a parking lamp relay and rock auto sells them at this site: https://www.rockauto.com/dbphp/mfr,ACDELCO look up a 98 transam. How would I have been able to buy one if there isn't one sir? the reason I bought one was because I already replaced the wiring harness that goes to the license plate light and side marker lights because the license plate light wire was corroded and caused my parking lights to fail (no license plate light, no tail lights, no display lights, no fog lights) but my brake lights, reverse lights, and turn signal lights work fine...the parking lights, display lights, license plate light, and fog lights DO come on though when i hit my unlock button on my keys so I know they are working when juice is getting to them...I already replaced my headlight switch too in case the first notch on it (parking light) might have been worn out....it didnt help. the headlights work fine though...only the parking light portion does not work, so i cannot drive it at night until i get it fixed unless if i drive with my hazzards on...they work.
Old 10-27-2005, 01:49 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Well, your response prompted me to look further than just checking the wiring diagram in the service manual (and relying on my own experience with these cars). So I looked in the parts manual. There was a parking light relay in Firebirds up until 97 but it was not used in 98-02 models - there is no such part listed in the original GM parts book. The 97 part number is 12193601 - perhaps that's what they sold you? As I mentioned before, the function of the parking light relay is built in to the DRL module on 98 and newer models. If you don't believe me then I wish you luck finding a place on your car to plug in that relay.

BTW, you have checked the TAIL LPS fuse haven't you? That fuse would cause exactly the symptoms you describe - including the fact that the alarm system still flashes the lights (the theft deterrent relay sends power to the lights without passing through that fuse).
Old 10-29-2005, 10:34 PM
Teching In

yes I checked the tail lamps fuse...it's good...would the alarm system be able to flash the lights if the parking lamp relay portion of the DRL module was bad? If so, it might be the DRL module that's the culprit...how do I get to it? pull the radio out and reach in through the front?
Old 10-31-2005, 07:59 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Yes, the theft deterrent relay flashes the parking lights independant of the parking light relay in the DRL module. So, the alarm could flash the lights if the DRL module was a problem.

The easiest way to reach the DRL module is through the radio opening. If you pull the radio you will find the DRL module behind it mounted to the defroster duct at the back right of the opening. It is a black box about the size of a pack of cigarettes with two 8-pin connectors - one blue and one black.

I don't think the DRL module is the source of the problem. It only controls the parking lights for automatic headlight operation (which doesn't apply to domestic Firebirds). The headlight switch bypasses the DRL module so the lights should work when the headlight switch is on, even if the DRL module is faulty.

I have added links to the wiring diagrams for the tail lights and the DRL module (as it applies to the tail lights). You will see that the headlight switch, the DRL module, the BCM, and the theft deterrent relay all provide independant sources of power for the lights and they all meet at splice S226. Note, on the DRL module diagram, the parking light relay in the DRL module provides power at S226 but the headlight switch also provides power to the same point when in the park or on positions. Splice S226 is in the instrument panel harness about 2.5 inches from where the wires to the headlight switch branch out.

Tail Light Wiring
DRL Module and Parking Light Wiring

At this point I think you're probably looking for a break in the brown wire between the headlight switch and splice S226 as the source of your problem. Of course, it wouldn't hurt to check the outputs of the headlight switch with a meter or test light just to be sure.
Old 11-03-2005, 11:13 PM
Teching In

Default I give up

ok screw it, I'm in over my head here so I'm just gonna let a gm dealer worry about fixing the problem...i'm also having problems with 02 sensors making the service engine soon light flash even after I replaced them....i'll just let a damned over priced dealer fix it all and put the royal screwing to me in their bill.
Old 11-07-2005, 12:45 AM
Teching In

Default problem fixed

nevermind, I rechecked my fuse panel inside the car and seen the TAIL LAMPS fuse was fried....it's weird because when I checked it at first it looked intact....maybe I overlooked it.....but I replaced it and now my parking lights work.
Old 11-07-2005, 06:58 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Glad to hear you found the problem. Sometimes a fuse will look fine but still be bad. The best way to check them is with a tester - fuse testers only cost a couple of bucks and often come included with assortment packages of fuses. You can also just put a new one in to be sure.
Old 11-11-2005, 11:09 AM
TECH Apprentice

WhiteBird00 you sure have been busy this month!!

Thanks again, and I appreciate the wiring diagram.
Old 11-11-2005, 11:21 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by mageth
nevermind, I rechecked my fuse panel inside the car and seen the TAIL LAMPS fuse was fried....it's weird because when I checked it at first it looked intact....maybe I overlooked it.....but I replaced it and now my parking lights work.
And I checked the website you listed to find out how much the DRL module costs: Pontiac wants $112 for it!

But the one listed at rockauto is the wrong one anyway, as it list a 5 pin many black, and our DRL's have two connectors.
Old 11-11-2005, 11:39 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Try gmpartsdirect.com - part number 10407669 is $64 there. Just watch out for their sometimes rediculous shipping charges.

Quick Reply: Where is my parking lamp relay located on a 98 trans am?