Taking the center console off a 98 firebird formula
I'm trying to get the top of the console off on my 98 formula. I took off the screws in the center console box, under the change holder. Then it seems to be stuck somewhere up near the radio, I just can't find what else I need to take off.
1. Set the park brake, if equipped with a manual transmission
2. Place the ignition switch in the RUN position, if equipped with a automatic transmission.
3. Place the shift lever in the NEUTRAL position.
4. Remove the shift control ****.
5. Remove the shift lever **** from the shift lever.
6. Remove the console trim plate.
7. Remove the 4 floor console bolts.
8. Raise the park brake handle as far as possible. If the park brake handle cannot be pulled up far enough to remove the console, perform the following:
- Release the park brake handle
- Hold the adjuster pawl disengaged
- Then park brake handle can be pulled up further.
9. Disconnect the power outlet connector.
10. Remove the floor console from the vehicle.
1. Install the console to the vehicle.
2. Connect the power outlet connector.
3. Release the park brake handle.
4. Install the four floor console bolts. Tighten the floor console bolts to 8 N·m (71 lb in).
5. Install the console trim plate.
6. Install the shift lever **** to the shift lever.
7. Install the shift control ****.
8. Place the shift lever in the PARK position.
9. Place the ignition switch in the OFF position.
Well, looks like that's the "console trim plate" ('front floor console shifter opening trim plate', to be precise ) you're indicating, so presumably you could remove it just by doing the steps before "Remove the console trim plate", but I don't know if that's all there is to it or if there's some little trick that's left out.
Okay, I'll admit, I'm curious as to why you're doing this? I'm going to be replacing the shifter in my 'hawk and I thought I had to take out the ENTIRE console? Can I just get away with removing the "front floor console shifter opening trim plate"? Sorry, not trying to steal your thread!
2000 Trans Am Firehawk # C062 Slowhawk Tuned // FQuick