General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Voltage from alternator???

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2005, 07:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Voltage from alternator???

Anyone ever test the alternator on their F Body? What kind of voltage did you have?

I just tested mine, the car is a '99, it sweeps the guages & clears the trip meter, every once in a while.

I searched on here, everyone put batteries in theirs to fix it. My battery tested fine. The alternator test showed 45 volts, the book says it should read 102 volts.

I just got the car, it is going to be in storage for the winter, but want to know what I am going to need to do in a few months.

Thanks!

Jason

Last edited by Unstang; 12-21-2005 at 09:01 PM. Reason: Wrong wording
Old 12-21-2005, 08:54 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,488 Likes on 1,071 Posts

Originally Posted by Unstang
Anyone ever test the alternator on their F Body? What kind of voltage did you have?

I just tested mine, the car is a '99, it sweeps the guages & clears the trip meter, every once in a while.

I searched on here, everyone put batteries in theirs to fix it. My battery tested fine. The alternator test showed 45 volts, the book says it should read 102 volts.

I just got the car, it is going to be in storage for the winter, but want to know what I am going to need to do in a few months.

Thanks!

Jason
First of all, there is a known issue with '99 model year F-bodies and that gage sweep issue. Try doing a search for more info.

Second, if you have an alternator that is outputting 45 volts, you have a serious OVERcharging condition. I think the book was refering to amps, not volts. Shouldn't be outputting over ~14v or so.
Old 12-21-2005, 08:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
First of all, there is a known issue with '99 model year F-bodies and that gage sweep issue. Try doing a search for more info.

Second, if you have an alternator that is outputting 45 volts, you have a serious OVERcharging condition. I think the book was refering to amps, not volts. Shouldn't be outputting over ~14v or so.

OOOPS! Yes, it is amps, that make a bit of difference here.

I searched, only thing I found was people switching batteries. I don't want to put a new battery in every year if that is really not the issue.
Old 12-21-2005, 08:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by RPM WS6

Double post...