General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

anybody figured out where the water gets in trunk

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2005, 09:08 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default anybody figured out where the water gets in trunk

My 2000 WS6 leaks water in the rear tunk at the bottom and this is the only area wet. I resealed the tailights but it still leaks any body got a clue. I'm thinking the hatch seal but is is new and show no signs on seepage. any help will be appreciated. Thanks
Old 01-05-2006, 11:06 PM
Teching In

the rear glass on these cars have a bad install. Have a dealership reinstall the back glass and it will fix the leak. Try putting silocone at the top in the corner holes of layers on the side. That fixed my bottom trunk leak
Old 01-06-2006, 09:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

Mine has only leaked one time, but it was a shitton of water. I looked everywhere to find out where it was leaking, and I couldnt make it leak at all. So I have no clue what happened. (hatch was totally closed) If I trusted my local dealerships more, Id go out and have the back glass reinstalled.
Old 01-06-2006, 10:55 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

there is a hole in the bottom of the spare tire well
Old 01-06-2006, 05:23 PM
TECH Regular

Go to a bodyshop they are able to order a different type of rubber moulding that goes around the glass. I had mine repaired about 4 months ago and the moulding the put around the back glass is different than any other fbody I have seen and now the worst leak I have is in the t-tops as they drip a little. Moulding is about 80 bucks from the body shop.
Old 01-08-2006, 08:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

There are 2 plugs under the carpet in the middle of trunk floor---I am gonna have to RTV [bathtub caulking maybe] ,and seal them up from inside..have used spray undercoat from underneath-worked for awhile, but the other day it was wet there again after I got caught in a downpour....other than that,my car is sealed great....t-tops never have leaked,even after couple of TOUCHLESS car-washes....
Old 01-10-2006, 10:22 AM
On The Tree

There is a TSB for this problem. I found that the inlet for the taillight wiring could leak from the main body to the rear of the car. The area front are of the top hatch layer could not have silicone on them from the factory. I will try to scan my TSB on leaks and it shows how to fix them. I have a question for you guys. Can TSB be cover under the call back warranties?
Old 01-11-2006, 01:55 PM
TECH Senior Member

Thumbs up

Just finished using bathtub silicone on the 2 plugs...looks like thats what was leaking..the plugs were fairly tight,but thats where a little water was and nowhere else...I just cut a little hatch in the carpet on 3 sides.[was going to remove carpet,but it looks very difficult for a small section,and I have other carpet that cover there anyway.].maybe 6'' by 5'' at the front center part of the trunk/tub..[hmm..bath-tub...] anyway,will see if I used enough silicone on it.That is the ONLY place it gets wet,the sides are always dry,just the very bottom...Btw..there is a type of black plastic Dyna-Mat stuff under the carpet,but not around the 2 black plugs..Hope this helps everyone a bit...
Old 01-13-2006, 12:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

I just notice this when installing sound deading on the trunk area of my car. Mine gets water from the left and right trunk areas. The driver side gets a pool of water by the end of rain season and the passenger side holds water at the bottom where spare is and where a plug is supposed to be but im leaving it unplugged. On the driver side the plug is not directly under the pool of water so I have to use a rag to remove water.

I did notice the black plastic in the trunk area. I think it is used as some sort of sound deading from the factory dont know what else it could be for.
Old 01-13-2006, 11:13 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 98boxer
I just notice this when installing sound deading on the trunk area of my car. Mine gets water from the left and right trunk areas. The driver side gets a pool of water by the end of rain season and the passenger side holds water at the bottom where spare is and where a plug is supposed to be but im leaving it unplugged. On the driver side the plug is not directly under the pool of water so I have to use a rag to remove water.

I did notice the black plastic in the trunk area. I think it is used as some sort of sound deading from the factory dont know what else it could be for.
You need to check the weather seal around the back glass and make sure it is seated good. Then put some clear silocone around the seams right at the top where they meet.
Old 01-13-2006, 11:15 AM
On The Tree

It's raining today and sofar the last two rains my trunk has been dry.I sealed the top hatch like the TSb bullintins said. fill the four layers on the top hatch coners and seal around the tailight and the harness going into the the taillight.
Old 12-02-2008, 10:26 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have water in this area. Did anyone find a sure-fire fix?
Old 12-08-2008, 01:33 PM
On The Tree

I am looking for an answer too.
My daughters 95 Z28 is leaking bad at the top of the back hatch. Looks like the trim/seal is missing where the hatch butts up against the top of the car, the lower seals seem to be fine.
Called a friend of mine at a body shop about the missing seal on the hatch and so far he hasn't found one.
Old 12-08-2008, 02:15 PM
TECH Regular

My car leaked once this year during a huge storm. I believe it is a drainage problem more than a leak problem. My driveway is a couple degrees sloped toward the road. If I park the car facing away from the road, the hatch area can fill with water and overflow into the compartment. If I back the car in, the holes at the bottom front of the hatch base let the water drain.

Long story short, try parking with the rear of the car a little higher than the front.
Old 12-09-2008, 09:02 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I found the leak and buttered mine tonight. I posted pics in the other thread.
Old 07-18-2009, 09:14 AM
On The Tree

I just found that my rear hatch glass is literally unsealing from the hatch. I was getting water in the trunk after rain and though it was the torn hatch seal. Nope. Further investigation after pushing up on the glass from the insealed revealed daylight poking through almost all the way around the bottom edge of the glass. Anyone ever pull and reseal their own hatch glass?
Old 12-03-2009, 09:56 PM
Teching In

I have found 5 locations for leaks in the back hatch of my '00 Z.

The seam sealer at the rear corners where water drains from around the hatch, just above the tailights was cracked. This allowed water to slowly drain down into the spare tire well and the same area on the driver's side.

Both sides, just outboard of the rear speaker mounts, drip water (probably from under the hatch seal) behind the trim panels. *If the car is nose down during a heavy rain, the water runs forward, flooding the rear seat pans, rear floor pan, and eventually the front floor pan.* Still working on sealing this one completely.

MY BIGGEST LEAK, which flooded the bottom of my rear hatch area (over 5 inches deep after the recent tropical storm!) was from a loose nut on my spoiler! After pulling the interior trim from the hatch, I noticed water stains inside the trim showing that it was coming in at the spoiler mounting studs, and running out of the trim where the lock mechanism sticks though the trim.

After re-applying the seam sealer, and torquing the spoiler nuts, the last big rain only left minor wetting at the forward locations. Once it all dries I will re-seal that area also.
Old 12-07-2009, 06:22 PM
12 Second Club

on my 95 it leaked where the taillights screw in had the same problem just filling up where the t tops go
Old 12-07-2009, 06:32 PM
12 Second Club

Mine leaks even when it sits under the carport. I resealled the drain plugs in the rear of the car. My hatch does not sit "correctly/square" on the car and I believe thats where the water is coming in from. I've never found any water in the spare tire area.
Old 09-06-2016, 04:54 AM
Teching In

I just got water in as well and now the tail lights are acting up. Is there still a tsb for this?

Quick Reply: anybody figured out where the water gets in trunk