General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

dealer responsibility?

Old 12-24-2005, 01:12 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default dealer responsibility?

If you guys just bought a z-28 and a few days later found out that it has a bad syncro in the transmission would you think that the dealer should take care of it? I think that if they don't, I'm just going to dump it back in their laps and get my check back... this is really frustrating.
Old 12-24-2005, 01:48 PM
ACW
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, they 'should' take care of it, if they value their reputation... but AFAIK, I don't think they're legally obligated to if you bought it "as-is".
Old 12-24-2005, 01:48 PM
TECH Addict

Did it have any kind of warranty, a synchro normally doesn't go bad overnight, I'd take it back and see if they are willing to work with you
Old 12-24-2005, 02:11 PM
11 Second Club

Many used cars come with a 3 month, 3,000 mile warranty, this is no favor from the dealer, you buy a used car warranty as part of your fees when you buy a used car. Your dealer may or may not have given you a warranty, but most of the established dealerships (Ford/GM/Toyota etc.) will take care of most problems. Now for the tough part. Try being pleasant but firm, don't go in like a total *** the first time you talk to them. Contact your salesperson first and then work your way up the chain until you get some action. Be advised: You cannot just dump the car back in their laps. Once you sign the contract, pay your money and drive off the lot, that bitch is yours. I don't know what state you are in, but in most states, the only time you are able to have the "3 day right to rescind" is when someone sells you something in your home. Good luck to you, let us know how it turns out. Is this your 1st LS1?
Old 12-24-2005, 02:26 PM
Teching In

yeah... it's my first rwd car as a matter of fact... It's a blast in gear, but when you have to shift, it losses it's fun factor because of the slowness and the occasional grind in fourth that wasn't there on the test drive because I took it easy on her. Maybe I should have rung her out right out of the gate...
Old 12-24-2005, 03:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

This sounds familiar to me:

I bought my 1998 Z28 used about 4 years ago with almost 40K on it. Came with the aforementioned 3 year 3,000 mile warrenty. Car drove great until I changed the transmission fluid about a week after I bought it. Suddenly the 1-2 shift grinded like crazy when you put any force behind it. When I took it back to the dealer they refused to cover it because the grinding did not happen under "normal driving conditions" I ended up having to call the GM Customer Service Center to plead my case, where I was able to get a guy there to call the dealership and tell them to fix it. Had both the 1-2 synchro and 2nd gear replaced under warrenty. $1200 bill covered by the dealer.

Good luck to you. The people at the GM Customer Service Center were great and really seemed to go out of their way to make me happy. If you did buy the car from a GM dealer, and don't have any success at the dealer level...definitely call the Customer Service Center.
Old 12-24-2005, 04:16 PM
On The Tree

You guys think that's bad? I bought my '96 ws6 from a reputable used car dealership. Within a couple of weeks the clutch was gone, the car overheated severely, the ses light came on and was scanned only to find about 8 reasons why, and the oil pressure goes to 0 at warm idle. I saw none of this while test driving the car. I had a 3 month warranty, but it only covered internal transmission and engine parts and I had to pay a deductible and half the cost. If you live in San Diego don't go to Point Loma Cars. They are nice people, but obviously a little shady.
Old 12-26-2005, 04:23 PM
Teching In

well... I got the car back today, I told them about the problem and they changed out the tranny fluid(black, and had probaly never been replaced) and flushed out the slave cylinder. Took the car out for a drive and it's weird, if I preload the shifter in 3rd then press in the clutch, It'll grind most but not all of the time putting it into 4th. If I drive and press the clutch in, wait a half second before I move the shifter, it works fine with minimal fuss... I cant figure it out.
Old 12-26-2005, 07:14 PM
Coy
TECH Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Dont take the damn car if it is broken. Transmissions are not cheap to rebuild, and it already sounds like yours is on the way out.
Old 12-26-2005, 07:48 PM
TECH Addict

Sounds like the synchro is gone, the half second delay lets the RPMs come down to where the gears mesh without grinding (kinda like rev matching on a downshift)
Old 12-26-2005, 08:30 PM
Teching In

man, I don't feel good about this. I just paid book for a car that is needing a 2000 dollar tranny. I'm pissed.
Old 12-26-2005, 08:33 PM
Teching In

I should have known when a friends CRX kept up with me due to shifting problems. I raced the CRX in my eclipse GST and smoked him by a few cars, where the camaro couldn't pull because of the tranny not wanting to go into gear. My eclipse pulls as hard as the stock ls1, but the trans works!
Old 12-27-2005, 03:55 PM
Teching In

well, went back to the dealer ans they said it is the syncro and they'll pay 300 of the labor and 1/2 of the parts... so I'm still going to be stuck with 500 bucks worth of crap to pay... that's not good enough for me. these guys suck.
Old 12-27-2005, 09:31 PM
On The Tree

Sorry to hear, keep on em. Dealers are a P.I.T.A. Good luck
Old 12-28-2005, 02:07 PM
Teching In

well, after going around the ring with the GM the total bill on my part is going to be 350$ THey said they would take care of the rest, which I guess is better than being stuck with the whole bill.

Search this Thread