General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Blue smoke at the end of dyno pull

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2006, 01:09 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Blue smoke at the end of dyno pull

At the end of my third and final consecutive dyno pull yesterday (club dyno day) I noticed some blue smoke start around 5.5K or so. Here's a vid, but youll need the latest quicktime:

http://www.ihearyou.com/~tony/videos...tony_dyno3.mp4

What do you guys think? Could it just be the oil thinning out from three consecutive runs? Car runs fine and oil presure is great. The smoke was not present on the first two pulls, except for a little black smoke on decel. I just hope my rings arent done...

Thanks,
-Tony
Old 03-12-2006, 02:16 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you could have blown a head gasket, most likely blue or white smoke from the engine means head gasket problems.
Old 03-12-2006, 03:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Z28LS1camaroguy
you could have blown a head gasket, most likely blue or white smoke from the engine means head gasket problems.
Just installed heads 2 weeks ago. I was meticulous with the install. Heads were milled and stoned perfectly flat as checked on a surface plate and a height gauge to within half a thousandth. Gaskets were GM MLS. Fluids are still topped off although its only had 30 miles since the dyno. The car does not smoke at idle or cruise, nor did it smoke on cold startup this morning. I dont think its a head gasket problem. Im fairly certain it was just high RPM ring flutter letting some oil through above 5 or 6K, i just wanted some other opinions based on the vid. The last pull went a little higher than the others, to 6800 or so.
Old 03-12-2006, 04:50 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well maybe since you did the head swap not to long ago there are some fluids in some tight places and its just burning it off at that high RPM. did u spill anything when you did the swap??
Old 03-12-2006, 05:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

On the inside of the motor? Not likely. I did however blow off my exhust the night before the dyno, and i had shimmed the band clamps using aluminum tape so theyd bite a little harder. It could have been some of the glue from the tape burning, but im fairly certain it was oil. Ill check the plugs next weekend. Might also be carbon from the headers blowing out. I dont do a lot of WOT blasts, so three dyno pulls in a row could have broken up the carbon a bit. I guess time will tell. Id probably be heading a cracked ringland if that were the case, no?

Quick Reply: Blue smoke at the end of dyno pull