General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

WTF! damn window motor

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2006, 12:01 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default WTF! damn window motor

ok guys, im really gettn ...i took the old window motor out and i jus aligned the new one onto the brackets, wut do i do next, i got a screw, a bolt, a rivet, and a 2 inch screw thing

i honestly hav no clue from there on, all i know is where to align the window motor to the brackets but i hav no idea how to attacth

i need ur help , id greatly appreciate it
Old 03-21-2006, 12:18 PM
TECH Apprentice

Are you using the shoebox link?
Old 03-21-2006, 12:23 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

just did mine with an ex-mechanic friend, u need to take out the old motor along with the whole bracket that ataches to the glass and lets the window go up and down without crashing to the bottom of the door. when u do that, and its a bitch, u attach the new motor to the bracket, grease up all the moving parts u can with white grease, and finagle the whole damn thing back into that little damn hole!!!!! Also if u do all of this make sure that u put a block of wood in the door to support the glass, i also used 3 pieces of duck tape and taped the window to the actual door, that in itsef was enough, the wood was just a safety measure. its also nice to have more than one person, cause it is hard and frustrating to get the whole bracket and motor out in one piece without having to worry about the glass crashing on your hands.... hope this helps.
Old 03-21-2006, 12:23 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Replacement motor should've come with three small bolts/screws to reattach it - get some, along with some blue loctite.
Old 03-24-2006, 09:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

make sure you zip tie the regualtor together, if you take the motor off and it moves fast, the clock spring will blow off, then you will have a real mess. I also recommend have 2 people when riviting the regulator back on, LOL I seriously pulled a groin muscle trying to squeeze the big rviet gun between my legs. Good Luck it is a PITA
Old 03-27-2006, 04:58 AM
TECH Addict

DEFINITELY no need to remove the entire window regulator to replace the motor. Use the shoebox method referred to above. Motor should have come with a set of screws/nuts to bolt motor back in - don't forget to use loktite...
Old 03-29-2006, 09:28 PM
Teching In

http://shbox.com/page/windowmotor.html
I did my windows with this, it was pretty easy if you have the right tools. instead of screwing it in i rivited it in with a numatic riviter.
Old 03-30-2006, 06:00 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 1QUIKWS6
DEFINITELY no need to remove the entire window regulator to replace the motor. Use the shoebox method referred to above. Motor should have come with a set of screws/nuts to bolt motor back in - don't forget to use loktite...
Same here. Just did it last week with no problems.

Removing the regulator is more trouble than its worth. If you dont keep tension on the regulator when the motor is removed, you will shoot that spring accross the garage. Learned that from experience on the '92.

Plus having to remove all of the tracks is a RPITA.

The SHOEBOX method is great.

R/

Frat
Old 03-30-2006, 07:16 AM
Staging Lane

For what its worth, one more vote for the shoebox method. Did mine last Saturday by myself. Took about an hour. Works great.