General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

No start and engine will not rotate.

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2006, 11:19 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow that took some ingenuity, that's cool. I think I'm going to go ahead and change out the lock cylinder though.
Old 03-29-2006, 11:52 PM
MJK
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Elite_Hot_Rod
Wow that took some ingenuity, that's cool. I think I'm going to go ahead and change out the lock cylinder though.
Sounds good and don't forget to post up about how it goes...I still would like to go ahead and fix mine the correct way myself and your info could come in VERY handy!

Good luck-Milt
Old 03-30-2006, 03:06 AM
TECH Resident

Maybe I over-read this... but why not get a resistor equal to the resistance of the spare-key and put that in place?
Old 03-30-2006, 08:48 AM
MJK
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Charging TA
Maybe I over-read this... but why not get a resistor equal to the resistance of the spare-key and put that in place?
That was my first choice in doing this but,I was having problems trying to find the correct resistor here locally..and my being "electrically challenged" ( ) didn't help things either when trying to explain to the local radioshack and a couple other places as to what I needed specifically..I'm still trying to figure out if the problems in locating a correct resistor here was on my end or on the end of the local electrical shops...at the very least I would go with both ends..

From what I understand and read,the resistance values are kinda specific (that being the reason the security system works in the first place..) and also have a very small amount of variance allowed.

Being that my car has been sitting for 5 days or so,I looked at the key and said to myself..."Self?Isn't that your resistor right there??"...So I rigged it this way.

Besides,everything I did can be reversed except the wires being cut from the key cylinder (which would need to be replaced and were the cause of the problem in the first place).

Laters...
Old 03-30-2006, 10:15 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by MJK
That was my first choice in doing this but,I was having problems trying to find the correct resistor here locally..and my being "electrically challenged" ( ) didn't help things either when trying to explain to the local radioshack and a couple other places as to what I needed specifically..I'm still trying to figure out if the problems in locating a correct resistor here was on my end or on the end of the local electrical shops...at the very least I would go with both ends..

From what I understand and read,the resistance values are kinda specific (that being the reason the security system works in the first place..) and also have a very small amount of variance allowed.

Being that my car has been sitting for 5 days or so,I looked at the key and said to myself..."Self?Isn't that your resistor right there??"...So I rigged it this way.

Besides,everything I did can be reversed except the wires being cut from the key cylinder (which would need to be replaced and were the cause of the problem in the first place).

Laters...
Alright, understood. I think this might help somewhat if you havent already seen it: VATS key values
Old 03-30-2006, 10:23 AM
MJK
TECH Resident

Alright, understood. I think this might help somewhat if you havent already seen it: VATS key values
Yeah,thats where I got some of my info...I posted that earlier..Good site!
Old 03-30-2006, 10:34 AM
12 Second Club

wow u are pretty ghetto.....lol

hahaha i cant believe u paid that for the key u tard...you should've just come to me i could've got it for half the price u paid
Old 03-30-2006, 02:56 PM
MJK
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by steveo346
wow u are pretty ghetto.....lol

hahaha i cant believe u paid that for the key u tard...you should've just come to me i could've got it for half the price u paid
Screw that Steve,I'm going to hit you up for the ignition cylinder later on!!

Were you even there Monday 830am or so?I didn't see your SS anywhere....hmmmm
Old 03-30-2006, 05:22 PM
Teching In

Mach1Killer
I had the same thing last week with the gauge fuse!! I was just about ready to replace the ignition mod that hooks to the ignition cyliner.

I had problems two nights ago with the starter barely moving. Found the connection on the battery had just a slight bit of corrosion scratched the h^& out of the connection and it started. So something easy to try!! This is on a brand new battery also.

MJK major kudos goes out for that one!!!!

Brad
Old 03-31-2006, 02:39 AM
Teching In

MJK I just went through the same exact process you did! I was really mad at first because I didn't know what the hell was wrong with my car! I ended up putting a resistor that was the same as my key into the plug that runs to the BCM. Works like a charm! I think I will end up hiding a switch somewhere under my dash that interrupts the resistor, so that way I can turn it off and have less of a chance of someone stealing my car(since the resistor in the key is a "dummy" now). By the way, you can solder resistors end to end to achieve the resistance you need! Oh and most resistors have a 5% tolerance as well!

If I were to change out the lock cylinder, how would the bcm know what the resistance of the new key set should be? Would it need to be reprogrammed, or do you just take one of the keys that comes with the new ignition cylinder set to the dealer with your old key and have a copy of the new key made with the old resistance? What would happen if you lost your keys? Is the resistance of your key "on file" somewhere according to your VIN?
Old 03-31-2006, 07:42 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by camarofan98
MJK I just went through the same exact process you did! I was really mad at first because I didn't know what the hell was wrong with my car! I ended up putting a resistor that was the same as my key into the plug that runs to the BCM. Works like a charm! I think I will end up hiding a switch somewhere under my dash that interrupts the resistor, so that way I can turn it off and have less of a chance of someone stealing my car(since the resistor in the key is a "dummy" now). By the way, you can solder resistors end to end to achieve the resistance you need! Oh and most resistors have a 5% tolerance as well!

If I were to change out the lock cylinder, how would the bcm know what the resistance of the new key set should be? Would it need to be reprogrammed, or do you just take one of the keys that comes with the new ignition cylinder set to the dealer with your old key and have a copy of the new key made with the old resistance? What would happen if you lost your keys? Is the resistance of your key "on file" somewhere according to your VIN?
I believe the resistance is programmed into your BCM (not sure though). I know some people get VATS programmed out of their BCM.
Old 03-31-2006, 11:12 AM
MJK
TECH Resident

I believe the resistance is programmed into your BCM (not sure though). I know some people get VATS programmed out of their BCM.
I don't know if its so much they get the VATS programmed out of their BCM as much as they get their BCM programmed out of their PCM...I think.

I think what the dealer does since the BCM is a ONE TIME program module,they have to order your ignition cylinder/key set according to the resistance of your current set.

I think they can get your resistance value off your VIN# or maybe by testing your original cylinder?Then they order the correct set out of 15 possiblities they have.That way it matches your current BCM.

I have heard that they have some sort of a device called the "interrogator" something or else and I bet that reads the BCM.If not,its probably an over glorified multimeter..Those are my theories...
Old 03-31-2006, 11:20 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by MJK
I don't know if its so much they get the VATS programmed out of their BCM as much as they get their BCM programmed out of their PCM...I think.

I think what the dealer does since the BCM is a ONE TIME program module,they have to order your ignition cylinder/key set according to the resistance of your current set.

I think they can get your resistance value off your VIN# or maybe by testing your original cylinder?Then they order the correct set out of 15 possiblities they have.That way it matches your current BCM.

I have heard that they have some sort of a device called the "interrogator" something or else and I bet that reads the BCM.If not,its probably an over glorified multimeter..Those are my theories...
What I was saying is (as far as I know), the lock cylinder doesnt have anything to do with reading the resistance (as in it doesnt determine if the resistance is right or wrong), that the BCM or VATS module reads the resistance. So if anything they would test your key.
Old 03-31-2006, 11:45 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Hi Folks
Just a little info for people that might need help. To get a Resistor value - use the following formulas:

(R1+R2..Ry)/X = R3 ex: (750+1000)/2 = 875 ohm these Resistors are parallel – “X” is the number of resistors in parallel
R1 +R2 = R3 ex: 750+1000= 1750 ohm - these resistors are in series
Bill
Old 03-31-2006, 01:06 PM
TECH Resident

Did you get it fixed? Mine had the same problem I was chasing around forever...it ended up being an ignition relay.
Old 03-31-2006, 04:34 PM
MJK
TECH Resident

What I was saying is (as far as I know), the lock cylinder doesnt have anything to do with reading the resistance (as in it doesnt determine if the resistance is right or wrong), that the BCM or VATS module reads the resistance. So if anything they would test your key.
Ahhh ok...

Originally Posted by flyin red TA
Did you get it fixed? Mine had the same problem I was chasing around forever...it ended up being an ignition relay.
Who?

Quick Reply: No start and engine will not rotate.