General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Tail light

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2006, 07:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Tail light

As you can see in the picture the right tail light seems to be darker than the left? How can I fix this, is it dirty inside? Should I just buy a replacement tail light (whole piece) ?

http://s45.photobucket.com/albums/f5...01Formula2.jpg
Old 03-30-2006, 09:13 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the exact same problem.
I took the taillight out this weekend to see whats going on.
Looks like the silver coating on the back side of the lens turned black due to water/condensation. I was unable to rub the discoloration off thru the bulb holes. It looks like your reverse light also has water in it as did mine.
Maybe with a heat gun its possible to split the lens and paint the inside with a chrome paint.
Has anyone ever opened one of these up?
Old 03-30-2006, 09:19 PM
JDP
TECH Fanatic

i posted this same problem in the appearance section and the only thing is to replace them, and i cant figure out how to prevent this from happening and it seems like mine is starting to get worse day by day
Old 03-30-2006, 09:20 PM
FormerVendor

This is a common problem, a friend of mine took his to the dealership and they replaced it for no charge. I have a dark tail-light if you would rather purchase that from me and have both match..lol
Old 03-30-2006, 09:21 PM
Teching In

When replacing them you may want to put some silicone along the edge where the two halfs meet.
Old 03-30-2006, 09:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

lol, well I have a transferable warranty on the car, because I bought it from someone, not a dealer, so if I can't find a solution to this, then I will see if anything can be done, I'm willing to buy another tail light that matches the one on the left.
Old 03-30-2006, 09:29 PM
Teching In

Should be easy to find a good one in good shape as they are the same in all firebirds 98 and up.
The only time it really bothered me is when the inspection guy told me the lamp was out. After closer inspection he realized it was not and passed me.
The Big PITA is the sockets on the DRL burning out due to water getting in them.
Old 03-30-2006, 11:04 PM
MJK
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks like its a pretty common problem...My brother and I noticed it on his 99' Firehawk and were worried that the light had been replaced (as in a accident).

Now I noticed that his 98' TA also has the same problem.Both of them have the passenger side tail as the darker one...The 98' did have the passenger tail replaced with a used part because of an accident..Never noticed the darker light until the work had already been done.....