General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Quick newb questions.

Old 04-13-2006, 10:55 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Quick newb questions.

I am about to purchase a 99 Formula A4 w/45k miles and while test driving it I noticed a few things.

1. Rear suspension when compressing squeaks, now I have read through other posts about this and the general consensus is bushings need to be regreased. No biggy.

2. When accel/deccel around 10-15mph and when sitting still in park, you can hear a tick tick tick in the back of the car, I believe it is rpm dependent but once you get above 15 or so it goes away. Any ideas?

Thanks
~Jordan
Old 04-14-2006, 11:51 AM
On The Tree

To The Top
Old 04-14-2006, 01:48 PM
Staging Lane

Well with the first problem its very common on the f-bodys. Mine dose it and i just learn to live w/it. I think a lot of people just use some litheum grease and it will take care of the problem.

As far as the second problem I dont have much to offer you other than the stock rear in all of these cars are piles of ****.
Old 04-14-2006, 01:56 PM
On The Tree

Hmmmm well the car has been adult driven its whole life I wouldnt expect the rear to be on its way out but anything is possible. What are the symptoms of a rear end going out?

Thanks
~Jordan
Old 04-14-2006, 02:57 PM
Launching!

Exhaust leak? That would make a ticking sound that would increase in rhythm when you gentally raise the revs.
Old 04-14-2006, 03:45 PM
On The Tree

The squeek is most like the rear sway bar bushing needs grease. Extremely common problem and easy to fix by pulling it and adding grease (sorry, no grease fittings on the stock bushings).

Not sure about the clicking noise, could be a variety of things. I do agree that the stock 10 bolt rear end is a pile of . I also don't think that clicking is a common complaint of the rear-end going out. More often I've read that rear-end issues involves bad leaks, one wheel burnouts, or loud clunking. But even more often they just BREAK suddenly - usually at the track.

Search this Thread