General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

problem with airbag wiring

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2006, 11:18 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

98 Trans Am airbag wiring? My light is on and I have a loose wire by the steering wheel.
Old 04-13-2006, 11:24 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by badboyracingws6
98 Trans Am airbag wiring? My light is on and I have a loose wire by the steering wheel.

If you guys could give me some feedback and let me know if this is the right stuff and helped you fix it I would appreciate it!
Old 04-13-2006, 11:26 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by badboyracingws6

More info on it...

Circuit Description
The ignition switch supplies Ignition 1 voltage to the inflatable restraint Sensing and Diagnostic Module (SDM) at terminal 10 using the AIR BAG Fuse. The ignition switch also supplies Ignition 1 voltage to the AIR BAG warning lamp using the GAGES Fuse. The AIR BAG warning lamp is connected to the INFLATABLE RESTRAINT INDICATOR at terminal 7 of the SDM. When the ignition switch is first turned to RUN, the SDM responds by flashing the AIR BAG warning lamp seven times. If IGNITION 1 is outside of the normal operating voltage range (8.2 volts-17.1 volts), the AIR BAG warning lamp will come ON solid with no DTCs set.

Diagnostic Aids
In order to disable the shorting bar from terminal 6 to terminal 7 inside the inflatable restraint Sensing and Diagnostic Module (SDM) harness connector, the following two conditions must be met:

The SDM harness connector must be properly connected to the SDM.
The Connector Position Assurance (CPA) must be properly installed in the SDM harness connector.
When measurements are requested in this table, use the J 39200 DMM with the correct terminal adapter from the J 35616-A Connector Test Adapter Kit. When an inspection for proper connection is requested, refer to Testing for Electrical Intermittents in Wiring Systems. When a wire, connector or terminal repair is requested, use the J 38125-B Terminal Repair Kit and refer to Wiring Repairs in Wiring Systems.

Test Description
The numbers below refer to the step numbers on the diagnostic table:

2. This test checks for sufficient IGNITION 1 voltage applied to the SDM.

3. This test checks for excessive IGNITION 1 voltage applied to the SDM.

4. This test checks for a properly installed CPA.

6. This test determines if the SDM is turning on the AIR BAG warning lamp.

7. This test checks for a damaged shorting bar.

9. This test determines whether the malfunction is a short to ground in CKT 358.

10. This test checks for a short between CKT 358 and CKT 1751.

14. An open AIR BAG Fuse would cause the AIR BAG warning lamp to come on steady.

15. This test checks whether a short to ground caused the AIR BAG Fuse to open.

16. This test determines whether the short to ground is due to a short in the wiring or internal to the SDM.

20. This test checks for a disconnected SDM.

26. This test checks for an open in the IGNITION 1 circuit.
Old 04-13-2006, 11:27 AM
Launching!

Hey thanks I'll let you know as soon as I work on it, looks like good info though Thanks.