General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

PLEASE HELP!!! Car died after track pass

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2006, 06:47 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default PLEASE HELP!!! Car died after track pass

Heading down the track tonight, my check gages light comes on. I look down to see the battery meter just in the warning zone. As Im driving home, the needle keeps dropping, and finally the car loses power JUST as I make it into a parking lot near home....

Now, my first assumption is the alternator. Heres why. My girl came and picked me up, I hooked up some jumper cables, let it gain some power back, then started it. It started and alot of smoke came out of the exhaust and smelled really rich. I pulled off the cables and it died within 20 seconds....

Its also got the stock battery in it (2001 Formula)

Should I look at anything else? What makes me wonder is it happened during a run at the strip. Any advice is appreciated......

Oh and I ran a 13.5@105
Old 04-15-2006, 02:03 AM
TECH Regular

tttt.................
Old 04-15-2006, 08:31 AM
TECH Resident

your alternator isnt charging... once it drains the battery down to nothing, the battery is useless. Buy a new alternator and battery.
Old 04-15-2006, 12:22 PM
TECH Apprentice

Put a meter on the alt and see what it is puting out. It should be at least 14 volts. If it is get a new battery. If the battery has dead cells it wont let the alt charge it.
Old 04-15-2006, 12:55 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Farmer2
Put a meter on the alt and see what it is puting out. It should be at least 14 volts. If it is get a new battery. If the battery has dead cells it wont let the alt charge it.
True but if the battery is dead the alternator will still run the car. Matt hit the nail on the head battery and Alt. You can take them off and take to Autozone to get tested for free.
Old 04-15-2006, 02:49 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by CashMoney
True but if the battery is dead the alternator will still run the car. Matt hit the nail on the head battery and Alt. You can take them off and take to Autozone to get tested for free.
I only mentioned testing the alt due to the battery on mine was so dead the car would kill just after taking the jumpers off due to the shorted battery and the alt was ok.

Either way hes in good hands here at good old LS1tech