General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Loud knocking noise

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2006, 06:32 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Loud knocking noise

This started happening a week or so after i got my headers put on. Toward the rear of the car on the driver side when the car is under strong acceleration in low gear i hear a loud knock and i can feel the car vibrate left to right a little. I thought it was a u-joint so i ordered one. Took the car to my buddies house where we got underneath and took the driveshaft out to check the joints but they were just fine. One was a bit stiff but not enough to cause a problem.
Then we thought it might be one of the c-clamps toward the back of the exhaust around where the muffler is. We guessed it was hitting the car's underbody from engine torque. Tightened the exhaust hangers up ALOT (the previous owner did not do a good job installing it). This only occurs in 1st and 2nd gear, times when the car is making alot of power and squatting the rear end.
Old 04-15-2006, 11:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Does the car have aftermarket rear lca's or phr? Or maybe the stock ones were removed and put back on? If so they might need to be torqued/tightened properly. If it feels like the *** is moving thats the only thing I can think of. Or maybe the tranny or torque arm mount is bad.
Old 04-15-2006, 11:35 PM
On The Tree

Your Y pipe is hitting your floorboard. I've seen that alot after a long tube headre install.