General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Lots of problems.

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2006, 11:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Lots of problems. Broken bolt from exhaust manifold in head. FUN TIMES

Ok so my cat was bad. and i went to replace it. It went fine untill i broke a bolt off in the head from the exhaust manifold. The bolt is sticking out about 16th of a inch. And there is no way to get a bite on it. I was wondering if you guys have any ideas on how to get it out. Its the Drivers side of a 2000 z28.

The best idea i got so far is taking it to a local auto shop and having them do it for 100 bucks. what tools are there to use? Also it was one of the middle bolts on the maifolds. therses 6 bolts

A A AB A A the B bolt is broke. Broken off in the head.

please help

thanks

Last edited by BigBenz; 04-17-2006 at 11:56 PM.
Old 04-17-2006, 11:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i also have to ask?

Will i have to pull the head off? Somebody please tell me no.
Old 04-18-2006, 01:48 AM
TECH Enthusiast

someone anyone?
Old 04-18-2006, 07:38 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You can do it in the car with the right tools. ie Angle drill + EZ out. If that doen't work then yeah, take it to a machine shop. Also heat up the head around the bolt when you go to take it out. That should help it a little. Good luck.
Old 04-18-2006, 07:47 AM
TECH Addict

did u try vicegrips?? and why would you take the manifolds off to get a new catalyic converter on?? you could unbolt the Y pipe from the manifolds and replace it that way, i dont see why you were unbolting the manifolds off the heads, unless you were putting new headers in.
Old 04-18-2006, 09:27 AM
On The Tree

just my 2 cents: i dont know if heating up a bolt around the head is such a good idea, what kind of heating (blowtorch?) would you warp the head?
Old 04-18-2006, 10:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

I would take a dremel tool and grind two flat spots on either side on the bolt, the vise grip the heel out of it, you will get it. See now remember antiseize is your friend when those go back in.
Old 04-18-2006, 04:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Z28LS1camaroguy
did u try vicegrips?? and why would you take the manifolds off to get a new catalyic converter on?? you could unbolt the Y pipe from the manifolds and replace it that way, i dont see why you were unbolting the manifolds off the heads, unless you were putting new headers in.

well if you looked at the motor you would see that the top bolts on the cat are almost untouchable. and i have my buddies cat and mailfold together. should have been the east way. and i fould a guy in my area that says her can do it for 150 bucks he will come to my house. Hope it works. O and 16th of a inch you cant get any wrenchs on no vice grips ect. i think it has to be drilled. and that sucker is on tight.