General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

HELP: Brake lights WON'T turn off

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2006, 11:40 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default HELP: Brake lights WON'T turn off

I pulled my carpet out this weekend which involved pulling the center console too. Well, the other night I got pulled over for riding my brakes. As it turns out, I wasn't riding my brakes and they are just stock "on" whenever my headlights are on.

I've done a little visual inspection behind the pedal and it doesn't look like anything is out of place. Is there something under the center console that could be doing this? Any tips would be appreciated because I am stumped and my brake lights are still on!
Old 04-19-2006, 01:39 PM
TECH Addict

Does your cruise control work?
Old 04-19-2006, 01:45 PM
TECH Addict

Nope it sure doesn't work. Well, it doesn't work whenever my lights are turned on, but if my lights aren't on then it does work. It didn't for a while before I noticed that the brakes wouldn't turn off. What could this mean??
Old 04-19-2006, 10:01 PM
TECH Addict

Nevermind, tonite my cruise control DID work. It used to NOT work, and my brake lights were normal. Now it DOES work and the brakes won't turn off. WTF? Someone help!@
Old 04-20-2006, 07:36 AM
TECH Addict

Perhaps it is the brake light switch. You might have knocked it around when you were installing the carpet.

I don't know if our cars are the same but the ones at work need the brake light switch to be in working order for the cruise control to work. (it needs to see that the vehicle speed sensor is over X miles per hour, that the brake lights are off, etc before cruise engages). Look under the brake pedal and see if you may have broken the holder for it, or jammed up the switch some how.

I had a problem with my clutch switch last week, and when I got under the car I saw that the little plastic tab had broken off so the switch was reading open the whole time.
Old 04-21-2006, 08:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I used to have an '89 Accord that had this problem. So I went to AutoZone and bought a new brake light switch. When I went to install it, I learned that it was not the problem. There was some small plastic screw looking thing that fit in a hole on the brake pedal arm and activated the switch. Unfortunately, it had broken into several pieces and lay on the floor. I think I JB Welded something else in it's place.

Moral of the story being: Make sure that your pedal is making proper contact with the brake light switch before trying to replace it.