General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Strange engine noise

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2006, 09:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Strange engine noise

I'm tempted to digital video the car to describe the noise that the engine is making. When idling after coming up to operating temperatures you can hear a "ch-ch-ch-ch" sound coming from the engine. I don't have any check engine lights on, car seems to run fine in all aspects otherwise. I'm just curious to see if anyone else has ever heard of something like this and perhaps just where I could start to investigate. Just thought I would throw it out there in case. I will try to get some video when it gets nice here again and I take the cover back off. Thanks as always everyone!
Old 04-22-2006, 01:04 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Y2KFirehawk
I'm tempted to digital video the car to describe the noise that the engine is making. When idling after coming up to operating temperatures you can hear a "ch-ch-ch-ch" sound coming from the engine. I don't have any check engine lights on, car seems to run fine in all aspects otherwise. I'm just curious to see if anyone else has ever heard of something like this and perhaps just where I could start to investigate. Just thought I would throw it out there in case. I will try to get some video when it gets nice here again and I take the cover back off. Thanks as always everyone!
Does it happen on cold starts, then stop when you rev the engine and come back after the rev comes down? Mine makes a similar noise, though it's more of a high-pitched sound. It goes away after I drive off and doesn't do it when I leave work for lunch, etc. Only in the morning.
Old 04-23-2006, 12:10 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

It seems to be only when it is warmer outside. No A/C running. The sound you have happening I would venture to guess that is is the idler pulley... I've replaced that already, and that makes a higher squeek noise and is easy and inexpensive to replace.