General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

t-top frame

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2006, 08:57 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default t-top frame

Was wondering if any of the rest of you guys have had this problem? When I bought the car around December 05 it had around 3-5 bubbles on the t-top frame. We decided to take it to a body shop and get their opinion for fear of rust (at that time didn't know what the frame was made of), but was releived to find out that the frame wasn't metal. The bodyshop guy said he'd hafta sand it down to completely tell. So, he sanded the t-top frame down and decided it was just bad paint so he primed and painted it. The next day it bubbled up even worse. He discovered the problem was that when GM made the t-top frame it was 2 peices bonded to a fiberglass middle peice and that some adhessives were coming out of it causing the paint not to stick. So he decided to grind down through a little of the t-top frame to get it all out and then replace with bondo what was needed he reprimed and painted again.

So, has anyone had this problem before, or am I just one of those unlucky people?

Thanks,
Caleb
Old 04-24-2006, 06:49 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've heard of the same problem from several other people...I know it's been mentioned on the local fbody board for me...I suspect it's been mention on here before too...that piece is called the sail panel..try searching for that term and paint or bubbling or something along those lines and you'll probably find other people with the problem.
Old 04-24-2006, 09:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There is a service bulletin for this...search around for more info.

Edit: Read more and find the bulletin here: https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...rvice+bulletin

Last edited by 9silverbird8; 04-24-2006 at 09:32 PM.