General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

a window question

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2006, 09:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default a window question

so, the driver side window, when i roll it up, starts to lean inwards.. if that makes since. something about a spring or something that keeps it straight.. if any one has a picture of this, i.e. they already have the door panel pulled off, and could help me out with some pics so i know what's going on before i pull the damn thing off would be great.

thanks

Old 04-30-2006, 03:49 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hey do you know what needs to be fixed in order to correct this problem?

I also have the same issue.....

try this as far as pictures

http://shbox.com/page/windowmotor.html
Old 04-30-2006, 11:18 AM
TECH Enthusiast

no, it's something at the rear of the window i was told. i guess i'm just gonna have to pull the damn thing off to figure it out.
Old 05-01-2006, 07:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Theres 2 little plastic things mounted to the door panel, and they have a felt like material on them. One may have come loose or fallen off, if so your window would lean in towards you while you roll it up.
Old 05-01-2006, 07:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i pulled it apart today. the wheel, on the rear of the window came out of the metal part attached to the window. so i'm trying to fix that.. what a pain.
Old 05-01-2006, 08:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

I was going to say the rear vertical channel. Alot of these car do it. Including mine. I bought the piece needed for like $35 at my dealer. Its best if you take it to a glass place so they can re-rivit the window back on. I had access to the big rivit gun and the correct rivits so I did it my self.
Old 05-04-2006, 06:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I pulled the wheel out, and drilled a hole in the back of it, put a washer, and screwed it to the window bracket deal. it seams to be working well. i tried jb weld, but that didn't hold up too well.
Old 05-04-2006, 07:38 PM
TECH Resident

hey what exactly was wrong that causes the window to do this and what was your fix, the stealership wanted 325 dollars to fix mine , apparently down from 450, so I walked....

cause kind of a when it comes to stuff like windows....
Old 05-04-2006, 07:40 PM
TECH Senior Member

Talking

Originally Posted by kny3twalker
hey what exactly was wrong that causes the window to do this and what was your fix, the stealership wanted 325 dollars to fix mine , apparently down from 450, so I walked....

cause kind of a when it comes to stuff like windows....
Walked...why ??? you could have saved 125 $ right then and there....
Old 05-04-2006, 07:43 PM
TECH Resident

Walked...why ??? you could have saved 125 $ right then and there....

yeah really any instructions about what to do once the door panel is off would be really helpful....
Old 05-06-2006, 12:25 AM
TECH Enthusiast

well, it depends on what the problem is? if it sounds like mine, there's a track that runs vertically on the far left side of the door. and the window should be up close to that, i.e. held by a wheel. and if there's no wheel, run your fingers down the inside of that rail to find the wheel, probably at the bottom. if it's there, take a 10mm socket, pull the bolt off the top of the rail, and remove the little stop, and remove the wheel, i took my drill, and a small drill bit, drilled about half way down that wheel, using vice grips to keep the damn thing from moving, then screwed a self tapping screw into the hole. be careful, and don't be too aggressive with it. it's soft aluminum. then i used a bolt that i could get a small wrench on, put a washer with it to keep it from falling out of the window bracket, and bolted that bitch in. Free fix.
Old 05-06-2006, 02:18 AM
TECH Resident

well, it depends on what the problem is?
my problem sounds similiar, when you get the window up about half way, it starts to lean foward, and the part of the window nearest the mirror will not go up all the way without assistance. So if I let the power windows roll the window up entirely then I would have a gap at the front of the window between the rubber on the door frame/roof and the glass in the door itself.

Is this the same problem you are having?
Old 05-07-2006, 02:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

yeah, i had to push the window out to get it to go up. pull the panel off and take a look.
Old 01-30-2007, 10:18 PM
Teching In

I have this problem too. The window falls in toward me about halfway up and I took off the door panel and the wheel is still there, but the guy before me tried (what looks like) JB weld on it and it's all gunked up, so I need a new wheel and a new metal piece w/ felt that attaches to the window. Anyone know where I can get these parts?? better yet, anyone know how to replace them so I don't have to take it to a stealership?
Old 01-30-2007, 11:40 PM
Launching!

I have the same problem. If rolled completely up the window has no play. But, once you roll it down a bit, you can rock the glass forward and aft. It sounds like something is worn out, and just kinda clunks around in there. I hear no loose pieces or have seen any. But, i may needing to replace the window motor soon anyways. Does anyone know if you can buy the whole assembly? or just the motor?
Old 02-05-2007, 01:24 PM
Closed ex-Sponsor Account

If all else fails, the dealer will at least have the part you need!
They can blow up diagrams with part numbers and you could just point to the broken items!