General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Power Steering Problems - Help!

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2006, 08:26 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power Steering Problems - Help!

I have a loud wine coming from my power steering. Its not there on a cold start, only once the car has warmed up. It does go up and down with the R.P.M.'s - very loud and noticable. Also very loud when I turn the wheels. My first guess was the pump so I had it changed and it was no the problem. The repair shop is confused. They have bled the line three times and they notice more air bubbles every time. They did find a very small leak in the rack. Is it possible that air is getting into the system through the leak in the rack? Or did I just get another bad pump? They want $680 to change the rack and re align the wheels so I want to be sure that this is the problem before I fork it out, because they can't guarentee me that it will fix the problem. Anybody had problem like this before? Any andvise on what it could be would be very much appreciated.
Old 04-28-2006, 08:52 AM
Launching!

The whining noise is the pump cavitating (running out of fluid). Get rid of the leak and your problem is solved.
Old 04-28-2006, 01:36 PM
TECH Regular

I have the same problem w/o a leak I would like to know as well. Don't mean to still your thread
Old 04-28-2006, 05:49 PM
Launching!

Not to sound like an a$$hole, but have you checked your fluid level. That isthe only reason I can think of that causes a powersteering pump to whine.
Old 04-28-2006, 05:51 PM
TECH Regular

My fluid level is perfect
Old 04-28-2006, 05:52 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

mine does the same thing.. i have a leak and it whines.. my leak is coming from the rack.. and not the pump.. so I know the seals are bad in the rack
Old 04-28-2006, 07:35 PM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Moving to maint and repairs...
Old 04-29-2007, 09:18 PM
TECH Apprentice

Bringing it back.

I know this is almost exactly 1 year old. I also have just replaced the powersteering pump and now I have the same noise. It is so loud I hate it. I have replaced the pump last weekend and got nothing but foam in the resisvior and the same annoying whine noise. So today I took it back off(to bolt it in the proper way) and drained the rack while I was at it. When I first start the car it is nice and quiet and even driving down a road at 45-50 it is quiet. When i get into a subdivision or slow driving (side streets) the pump makes alot of noise.

I think I might know what I did but I want some opinions. When I was swapping the resisvoir over, the magnet inside fell out and I just dropped it back in there. I dont know if it is blocking the flow. I guess it would make the noise all the time if the magnet was blocking the flow.

Man I dont know what to do. I can replace the pump again but I really do not want to do that. I'm getting sick of doing this every weekend.

Please let me know what you guys did to fix the noise.

Thank You
Old 04-30-2007, 09:05 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 99wssixm6
I think I might know what I did but I want some opinions. When I was swapping the resisvoir over, the magnet inside fell out and I just dropped it back in there. I dont know if it is blocking the flow. I guess it would make the noise all the time if the magnet was blocking the flow.
Cool never new there was a magnet in there.
Old 04-30-2007, 04:08 PM
On The Tree

Mine was makin noise for the lonest time chaged the power steering pump 3 times and the rack nothing fixed.. fluid kept getting cooked only thing i have not done was not put on a cooler might wanna look into that...
Old 04-30-2007, 09:32 PM
TECH Apprentice

So you have not been able to fix the noise. I think I burned up the new pump by having two different fluid types in it. I work at a Dodge dealer and put some "clear" Mopar fluid in it a few months ago. I have been using some red fluid but it still comes out milky looking. When I replaced the pump yesterday I ran the rack back and forth with both lines off of it so it could spit all the fluid out.

I dont think it is a bad cooler, but rather a bad pump agian. I guess I will hae to warrnaty it with autozone.

Please let me know what you found or if any of you other guys have figured this out.

(the noise got alittle quiter today so we will have to see what a few more days will do)