General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Help Strange Misfire!

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2006, 01:53 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Question Help Strange Misfire!

2002 Camaro SS M6 40K Miles

I have been fighting an intermittent misfire problem. It started about 1 month ago and is so inconsistent I cannot get a fix on it. I start the car and it starts to miss almost immediately. After a short time it straightens out and will run. Up until a week ago the SES light did not come on. It does not matter if the car is warm or cold and does not do it everytime. Sometimes it just does it going down the road. I have replaced the plugs with no results, check for loose connections, and cleaned air filter(K/N). I was driving it to a shop the other day to get a computer on it and 3 blocks from the shop it started to run like a champ. Just my luck. The shop read the computer and it showed excessive misfire on all of the drive side cylinders but none on the passenger side! They checked the drivers side cat but it is fine. It does not seem to matter if I have a full or empty gas tank and I changed gas stations suspecting bad gas. This was before the computer diags. Does anyone have any idea?
Old 04-29-2006, 09:12 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

start it up cold,as soon as it starts to miss turn the engine off and pull the plugs on the side that missing.look for oil fouling etc.i had a similar problem turned out to be a few valve seals leaking enough oil to foul the plugs on a cold start.probably not the same trouble but that how i found it.