General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Lifter stuck

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2006, 06:55 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lifter stuck

My engine started making that pescky ticking noise and then i found metal shavings in my oil so i guessed it was the rocker arms. Bought a set of those and found out it was a lifter. Took the heads off and i cant pull this lifter out, what would be the easiest way to do this other than taking out the cam and then fishing for it(it goes in but not out). Do you think it was just the lifter? Will that cause the oil pressure to go down? Maybe taking out the cam will give me an excuse to get a new one
Old 04-30-2006, 07:57 PM
Teching In

help
Old 05-03-2006, 07:09 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

First rotate the cam to max lift on that lobe so its up as far as it can be, then a pair of long, good needle nose pliers should get it out, always has for me, if not a real strong magnet, if still not, then she might be stuck, and the cam might have to come out.
Old 05-06-2006, 11:49 AM
Staging Lane

take the pushrod out and take the hydraulic lifter remover tool to it, always works. i used one on a 305 that had been sitting in a field with no lub or anything on it and it came right out after attempting it with the needle nose. i think you can pick one up at any local auto parts stores. i rented mine at autozone.