General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Choosing the right oil. suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2006, 07:30 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Choosing the right oil. suggestions?

k i read over lots of old threads, and that german castrol 0-30 seems to be a good pic. currently im running m1 5-30 synthetic. and yea im burning oil, prob a quart every 3-4 weeks. i just did an oil change 2 weeks ago, i wish i didnt waste $70 on the m1. haha

well anyways this german castrol is it a synthetic? are the synthetics good for ls1s? i dont think ill be able to find that german castrol as i live in canada. so what would be a good alternative for me? is there a M1 5-40?
Old 04-30-2006, 09:21 PM
Teching In

Thats a lot of oil to be burning, i would say go get a tune up and check that out. It's actually worse to go to synthetic if you were using fossil beforehand. I would go out and get some 5w-30 or 10w-30
Old 05-01-2006, 12:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

i wanna know about this too...i have 76k miles and just bought my 02 Z28 and the guy has been running regular oil...can i switch to synthetic and not have to worry about new leaks?
Old 05-01-2006, 06:08 PM
On The Tree

im not sure weather or not the previous owner was running sythetic. but i have heard before that u can switch to sythetic u just cant switch back to reg **** afterwards.

should i run 5-40 i live in a little colder area.
Old 05-03-2006, 10:24 PM
Teching In

I'd also like a little advice here. I have Paceseter LT's no cats, with the magnaflow exhaust, but I have had oil issues since i bought the car. It is a 99 currently with just under 25k miles but I bought it used 2 years ago with 8,300 Miles. I am also burning through oil about a quart every 3 - 4 weeks.When I first bought the car I had synthetic put into it because I was under the impression that synthetic was better. I'm runing the mobile 1, 10w30 synthetic oil. Any suggestions / advice
Old 05-03-2006, 11:07 PM
Staging Lane

i bought my car with 85k and the previous owner has only run dino oil in it. Switched it over to amsoil euro 5w-40 with no problems (in fact, oil pressure is up about 15psi across the board and there's no slapping).

Just do your research and don't pick a synthetic thats quite as light as M1 5w-30 (thats why i went with the amsoil euro 5w-40!)
Old 05-08-2006, 03:58 PM
Staging Lane

Another vote for Amsoil Euro 5w-40 even though i havent run it yet. But it should be here in a couple weeks i hope. Redline or Castrol Syntec are good too......when i first bought the car i used mobil 1 a few times but that stuff burned up too fast...had to add a quart every 1500 usually. Been using castrol for a lil over a year now and i noticed that it was running smoother after changing from M1 to Castrol...even though the valves got louder...but it was running better for sure! And i was gonna change from castrol to redline..but they were out so i went for Royal Purple and i really dont like that stuff either.

So i'm gonna have to say either of the 3 i mentioned but theres a few others. No more M1 though for sure....it sucks!
Old 05-08-2006, 04:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mobil synth 5-30 is pretty thin oil. Mobil 0-40 is about 20% thicker at temp, while the German castrol is about 40% thicker at temp. Basically mobil 5-30 synth is at the bottom end of the visc spec, while german castrol is at the top end. Search for "Castrol" or view all topics and sort by number of views, and the main oil threads will come up. They've been dormant since 2005, so make sure you have your filter set to "beginning" to see all threads.

There is no downfall to running a thicker oil, so if you need it and it helps, go for it. It hurts nothing to go back and forth from synth to dyno. Though in general if you want the benefit you should run synth purely. Synth does tend to be a little better at finding it's way through small leaks, so if you got a leaker then synthetics might make this worse. I think this is the main reason all the urban legends about changing over were born.
Old 05-09-2006, 07:57 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

have you guys heard of a performance mobil 1 synthetic oil 5W50 For "Performance Engines" Im running GM Regular OIl 10W30Bottled Delco OIL. The car is a 99WS6 with ~30,000mi, its been run using reg oil so far, no oil consumption. My question is(sorry to hijack thread) can I switch over to Mobil 1 without an "engine flush?" and would i be able to go straight to the 5W50?