General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Help with codes

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2006, 07:01 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with codes

My car kicked a check engin light on today, it bring sup two codes, bank 1 too rich, and bank two too rich. they told me it was the MAS and it would be 329 to get one,

is this what is really wrong or is it something simpler?

any help please.

if it is, would it be better to go aftermarket than go back stock?
Old 05-06-2006, 09:02 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It could be many things, If you set a code for both banks, look for something in common with both banks. Rich codes are usually sensor issues, where as lean could be intake/exhaust leaks stuff like that. So things like map, maf sensors, probably not o2 sensors. High fuel pressure if a regulator is going bad. They could be right, but its hard to tell rich/lean codes have 100's of different possibilities. So hopefully you have a reliable source for diag. If it is the MAF, yes get an aftermarket, even the best you can buy is cheaper than a stock one.
Old 05-06-2006, 09:53 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Try cleaning the MAF with electrical cleaner first before you buy a new one...it's worth a shot. Examine it also....see if the little filaments are broken or burned, clean any debris off the screen. When/if you clean the maf don't touch the filaments, just spray them lightly and let them dry.

If it was me i'd buy a new stocker if you're going to get a new one...i've heard some nighmare stories of problems with some aftermarket MAF's. The stocker is good for even a heavily modded car IMO