General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Cold Start Problem

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2006, 11:02 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Cold Start Problem

I have been having a strange problem and at first it just happened very seldom, but now it is happeneing everytime I try to start the car and the car is having a very hard time starting as well.

When I try fire the car up the Tach shoots up to 7k and speedo shoots itself to 150MPH and then they come back down to thier off postions and the tach start reading normally. I aloso notice evertyime it does this my trip meter gets reset back to zero. When I put the car in D and push the gas an the car does not go anywhere It sputteres and almost dies. After it warmes up it is fine. I have an 1999 A4

Any thoughts?
Old 05-05-2006, 11:24 AM
On The Tree

It's sounds like your battery is taking a crap. Check that out. Also, check to make sure your positive/negative cables have a good connection to the battery terminals. Check your grounds also, might have a bad one.

Mine did the same thing. It was a stupid easy fix. My positive cable wasn't tightened all of the way.
Old 05-05-2006, 11:38 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Cali SS
It's sounds like your battery is taking a crap. Check that out. Also, check to make sure your positive/negative cables have a good connection to the battery terminals. Check your grounds also, might have a bad one.

Mine did the same thing. It was a stupid easy fix. My positive cable wasn't tightened all of the way.
Cool, I will check that.. My battery is only about a year old and is not showing any signs of dieing..