General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Needle bouncing around like a horse's hard on

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2006, 04:00 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Needle bouncing around like a horse's hard on

Oil pressure gauge needle, after start up is steady at about 40psi at idle where it normally is since I got the car in 2001. The needle will move smoothly to about 80 psi as I accelerate shortly after start up. After a few WOT passes or about 15 min of driving however, the needle will begin to bounce or jump between 25 and 55psi while at idle. The needle will also jump in steps as I accelerate and slow down instead of moving smoothly. Sometimes worse than others but my car has never done this in the past. I always change my oil on time, always use the same oil. It doesn't seem to matter if the car has warmed up or not, and doesn't show any signs of trouble at the engine (no noise, rough idle, etc.)

Oil pressure sensor?
Bad gauge?
oil pump?
Old 05-06-2006, 08:56 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bad gauge I bet. It sounds like the motor that moves the gauge is going bad or sticking, after a few jumps of the oil pressure it aggrivates it. I've seen this alot, not so much on our cars though. The only other thing it could be a remote possibility that the sender is going bad. The oil pressure is still ok I'm sure. the oil pumps in these cars are VERY VERY reliable and only conk out if you have catastraufic engine failure.
Old 05-07-2006, 01:00 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

lol wow there have been alot of post about oil psi problems....or maybe ive been noticing it more since my pump went out and ive lost my lower end...hmmm...but anyway...the oil sending unit on top of your manifold is a easy check, its just really a gauge, then check the pump, AND the o-ring thats with the pump....these are your two major points...are you losing oil? and what type are u using?
Old 05-07-2006, 10:02 AM
TECH Addict

yeah it could also be the oil your using, but my sending unit is bad since i changed my oil pump out about three months ago to a LS6 pump and the gauge still moves at idle. so basically change the easy stuff first such as the sending unit and thicker oil and if that doesnt help then you might want to consider a new oil pump.
Old 05-07-2006, 06:07 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks for the advice! Always much appreciated! After a day of no responses I started to think my "horses hard on remark" had offended someone. I notice the more creative your thread title is, the more responses you tend to get.

I use Castrol Syntec 10w 30. Have been since 300 miles. Oil always looks good when changed every 3,000 miles. I will take a look at the oil pressure sensor, but how would I tell if it's no good? Where is it exactly? Advice on replacement?

Current plan of action:
1. check oil pressure sensor (haven't found a place to buy a new one, suggestions?)
2. seafoam (I'm due for a tune-up anyways )
3. oil change (will pull the oil pan, check for debris)
3. new spark plugs + wires (still on the stockers)
4. if not resolved by changing oil pressure sensor, new gauges.
5. if still not resolved, on to the PITA oil pump change

Good course of action? If debris is found in the oil pan, what could that be an indication of? I heard bad bearings perhaps?
Old 05-07-2006, 10:29 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The oil pressure sensor is behind the manifold, so its gotta come off. After all that trouble I'd just replace it while your there and hopefully take care of it. I'd get one from GM also, that way the calibration is 100% correct.