General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Partial Throttle Problems.

Old 05-08-2006, 03:53 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Partial Throttle Problems.

I have been trying to figure out why I'm getting my P0410 code for the Secondary AIR system but even before that out of no were the car was having problems getting at partial throttle or 1/4 acceleration under load.

The car is hesitating and surging a little then it just comes alive out of no where but usually runs fine. I just replaced both O2 sensor and had my tuner get rid of P0140 code for the pass. O2 sensor since the new O2 sensor install.

Could it be that there is an exhaust leak and also a leak in the Secondary AIR system? Or is it a bad plug or a plug going bad?

This weekend I'm going to take a look at the PCV valves, try to take a look at the plugs, and look more closely at the Secondary AIR pump system.
Old 05-08-2006, 04:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Did you remove your air system? Also check your maf for dirt or if it has oil from your air filter on it.
Old 05-08-2006, 06:33 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A couple things to check. First the AIR system uses 2 check valves which lets fresh air from the pump go into the exhaust but not visa versa. If these are bad it will fill the air pump up with water from exhaust condensation. Not good. The PO410 sets when the PCM does not see the O2s drop when it is commanded on, So you want to make sure the air pump is working. If they fill up with water as mentioned above it will usually blow the air pump fuse, so check that. So see if it is coming on, make sure all your hoses are connected. even if the air pump leaks its into the exaust so it wont cause a drivability problem. I think the o2s were the hesitation problem and soemthing in the air pump system is the p0410. unrelated. So check the things above and you might find the problem.
Old 05-08-2006, 10:11 PM
TECH Regular

I'm going to check all these this weekend. Thanks for the heads up on the water in the pump, but it seems that the pump is running so that leads me to believe that there has to be a problem with the check valves, maybe not. I'll have to check the O2 extensions and the O2 themselves to see if the wiring is okay and then the MAF.
Old 05-11-2006, 04:21 PM
TECH Regular

Cleaned off the MAF sensor not to bad looking, then checked the AIR systemed. I found a small leak in one of the tubes and repaired it but with little change.

Today the car wouldn't start after an hour trip to Rochester NY, I got it started by messing with the battery terminals, so I hope my battery or my alternator isn't going bad. The car is still running or stumbing or chugging at partial throttle under load, but not all the time. No SES light up today.
Old 05-12-2006, 09:08 AM
Teching In

I once had throttle issues, even though I found out about them after accidently doing a complete throttle body clean up.

As a rule each 25K on my car I remove the throttle body, clean it with carb spray.
Once I cleaned out the crude in the Idle Air Controller device (stepper motor), the car idled and felt so nice when I hammered the gas.
Old 05-12-2006, 11:56 AM
TECH Regular

Mine is fine when I hammer the gas it starts to chug or stumble when I give it 1/4 throttle to accelerate just a little bit. Can't figure out where there is air getting into the system but the P0410 for the AIR system came back up.

Search this Thread