General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Please Help!!!!!! I Need Serious Advice From Everyone

Old 05-11-2006, 08:55 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Please Help!!!!!! I Need Serious Advice From Everyone

Ok so i was driving home from work today in the rain i have a 2002 m6 and today it started to sputter and surge when i tried to hit the gas like iw ould depress the throttle and it wouldnt do anything and then all the sudden it would jump like a rev.....idk whats going on i think its misfiring but id ont know how to fix it my exhaust is rattling and ticking which it did before when a plug wasnt quiet attached and therfore misfiring so i believe isnce its the same noise that htis must be similar if not the same...the only reason this is so serious to me is b/c i have to drive this car tomorrow to work and cant afford to miss work under these circumstances plz anyone help me some advice something i really need your help i dont know a ton about cars but if you can give me some advice and steps i know i can fix it myself if i have to i will stay up all night!!!!!

thank you ahead of time seth
Old 05-11-2006, 09:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Make sure the plugs are tight, hopefully water didn't get in the intake.....

maybe it's your maf?

Did it ever completely die?
Old 05-11-2006, 10:45 PM
12 Second Club

no it never completely died but at one point it was idling at round 300-500 rpms and felt like it was bout to fall apart
Old 05-11-2006, 10:51 PM
Launching!

seth, whats up man i met u at 4 corners like 2 or 3 weeks ago. hey man remember i told u if u ever need anything to let me know. ive got class tomorrow and u are more then welcome to come by. we can hook up the scanner and take a look at whats going on and we will figure it out. free of charge of course. if u want to get ahold of me just gimme a call. ill PM u my number right now. later!
Old 05-11-2006, 10:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

make sure the plugs and wires are tight. if you have any di-electric grease, put a small dab on the plug tips or the inside of the plug boot. The way you describe it, it sounds like you have a water to ignition problem. If you have no di-electric grease, you can spray some wd-40. WD-40 is designed to displace water (hence the "wd")
take a q-tip and gently clean the wires inside the maf. Use no pressure when doing this.
Is your air filter wet?
Do you have any type of ramair under the car that brings air up to the filter?
Does this problem happen ANY OTHER TIME other than today in the rain?
Old 05-11-2006, 11:47 PM
12 Second Club

i toook the plug wires off the plugs themselves and have them haning there, i have no ram air under the car jus a standard ws6..... i have never had any problme like this before, ever not even other times in the rain, i tried to find some di electric greas e tonie but no such luck where could i find this stuff???? and are you sure wd 40 will work if i cant find di electric grease?? ill try and clean the maf to but idk what it could possibly be i hope i dont need to pull the plugs and crank the motor to get the thing running good....it will start fine, and seems to at time idle ok but then again it can get fucked up really bad really quick it seems to be ok for the first 4 to 10 minutes of a test ride but them goes right back into its routine again.....sounds like from the echaust that im misfiring really bad so idk what it oculd be or how to solve it but i am gonna try to wake up early tomorow morning to find this di elctric grease and see if that doesnt do the trick as well as cleaning the maf!!!!!

thank you all for all your help

seth
Old 05-12-2006, 12:13 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How long has it been since you did the LT install, could have a cracked plug (water will make the missfire worse if it is cracked) might be a good idea to swap plugs and wires
Dielectric grease is uasually found at the front counter, it's sold in small packets and is usually hanging on a display at the front of the parts store (worse comes to worse ask for it)
WD 40 will work to displace water (works quite well actually)
BTW use some electronics cleaner to clean the MAF wire
Old 05-12-2006, 07:48 PM
12 Second Club

i let the plug wires dry out if they were wet..i didnt get a chance to get dielectic grease but i called up a speed shop and they said it was prolly an o2 sensor so i replaced bouth of them and now im jus waiting tosee wht its gonna run like so idk...but a bump for any other suggestions plz

thanks

seth
Old 05-12-2006, 07:54 PM
TECH Addict

i had a similar problem with my car last week, i melted a 02 sensor the week before and fixed it and had ses light and problems, well i got new 02s and still would studder at idle and drove weird like i would step on the gas and nothing it would just hang at a certain RPM then jump up and speed up. turns out that i blew the 02 sensor fuse under the hood, its a 20 amp fuse and cheap fix. Ever since then its been smooth sailing and was relieved to have found the problem, so my advice would be check your fuses under the hood.
Old 05-12-2006, 08:05 PM
12 Second Club

z28ls1camaroguy thanks so much for the advice ima check the fuse and see whats up thank you so much im not sure if it will fix it but i will be sure to check it out and see c ant hurt to doublecheck it right haha at this point i will try anything thanks again.....anyone else feel free to give some advice hah

thanks

seth

ps this sight is amazing and i would jus like to thank all themembers that have responded b/c you guys have been a huge help thanks so much
Old 05-13-2006, 05:21 PM
Teching In

My car started running like crap earlier this week then all of the sudden it would barely run, then it idled badly and then die, then I'd start it back up again and do it over. Check your fuel pressure. Mine was only 8.5 lbs. Fried fuel pump. Anyways, these guys are right. Water will highly aggravate ignition problems. Have you tried to start the car again yet and is it running any better?

Search this Thread