General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Changing brake and clutch fluid?

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2006, 08:37 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Changing brake and clutch fluid?

I want to completely change my brake and clutch fluid because they both look very dirty. Also my clutch pedal seems to sink further than it should. I am going to try this method for both:

1) Open bleeder valve
2) Depress clutch
3) Close bleeder valve
4) Realease clutch
5) Add fluid to resevior
6) Pump up pedal to get pressure
7) Repeat

Do I let the master run dry, then fill up with new fluid and bleed? Or do I just add the new fluid to the old, then bleed until the new fluid comes out? Bascially should I let the master run dry or not? I ask because I've heard its bad for the new fluid to mix with the old.

thanks!
scott
Old 05-13-2006, 08:54 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think you will go thru a hell of a lot more fluid letting the master go dry, also there is a tiny issue of air bubbles being a pain in the *** to get rid of once they are in the system (if you don't have a mityvac or pressure bleeder on hand).

I'd just cycle the fluid until it comes out clean from the other side. For the most part, the fluid only goes one direction... to the slave. When the bleeder is closed, and releasing/pumping the clutch it has no choice but to drain the resevoir for more fluid.
Old 05-13-2006, 05:14 PM
Teching In

When you do the brakes start with the farthest wheel away from the master cylinder and work your way toward it. Before you do anything try to get most of the old fluid in your master out with a clean, lint-free cloth, but be careful not to get it on your paint, it'll eat it right off. Then refill the master with new fluid. Start at the right (pass) rear wheel with a partner and bleed until clean, new fluid comes out. Make sure the master doesn't run dry. Then the right rear wheel, then the left rear wheel, then the right front then the left front. Be sure not to let the master run dry or you'll have to do the whole thing over.
Old 05-14-2006, 08:00 AM
On The Tree

just remember that brake fluid is h$ll on paint.