General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Unusual Headlight Problem(T/A)

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2006, 01:26 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Unusual Headlight Problem(T/A)

I have a 95 trans am and its having a very frustrating problem with the headlights.

The headlight bulbs always work as they should.

The motors do not come on on the first throw of the switch. I have to turn the switch back to off then on again real quick for them to come on.

I have come to the conclusion that;

The switch passes current as it should and isnt the cause of the problem.

This leads me to believe the Headlight door module is messed up. However it was replaced with a junkyard unit a week ago and both of them react the same.

Anybody else having/had the same problem? Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!

Jason
Old 05-13-2006, 04:59 PM
Teching In

Not sure, but I do know one thing, stripped gears in the headlight motors will freak out the control module. Do you have any grinding noises or anything. My headlights pop up when I turn the park lights on only, but if I turn the shaft of the motor 180 degrees, they work like they should, they just won't go up all the way. My bet is on one or both of your headlight motors having a stripped nylon gear and freaking out the control module.
Old 05-13-2006, 05:45 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here's the fix:
http://my.execpc.com/C4/4A/rodney1/firebird/
Old 05-13-2006, 06:44 PM
Teching In

I know the passenger side gear is stripped now, but this problem existed before the gear was stripped. Also the drivers side gear seems ok and both motors do the same thing. It has been at an auto-electric shop since thurs and he is as confused as I am. Hes gonna get another T/a on Monday and try putting my module into it and see if the module is bad. If he can't fix it i'll try replacing the gears and see what that does.

Thanks for the quick replys guys
Old 05-13-2006, 07:58 PM
Teching In

If the module is not bad it's probably the motor. The passenger side motor could have been stripped a little before and either not made much noise or any at all, it's a weird setup man. Good luck with it. Post back the results if you don't mind, I'm curious.
Old 05-17-2006, 09:19 PM
Teching In

I got the car back, the auto-electric is gonna use the spare module and try it on a car with a working system. I also noticed;

when i turn the switch on and lights do not come up if i just turn them off the motor seems to come on for a split second( I assume this is the time the motor is being overloaded and sending the signal to the sensor to shut it off).

The motor always goes DOWN when expected.

This makes me belive that it is just the part of the module that makes the motors go up.

Jason