General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Cooling Fan and A/C Problems

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2006, 12:19 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Cooling Fan and A/C Problems

Well I am having some strange problems with my car and it had to do with my A/C and cooling fans. Sometimes when I start my car up the cooling fans will run on high for about 10 seconds, it does this when the car is cold or warm, so I know the fans arent kicking on because its hot. But If i go to use the a/c after the fans have turned on and off the compressor wont kick in. But sometimes If i hear the fans kick in I will shut the car off, turn the key off and start it back up and if the fans dont turn on this time the a/c works fine. I see there are 3 cooling fan relays, what do they all do since there are only 2 cooling fans. I have replaced 2 of the relays and plan on replacing the other one. But I guess my question is what could cause the cooling fans to kick in like that and then not let the a/c turn on. I realize the cooling fans turn on when you turn on the a/c, so if when the fans turn on on start-up they arent working or something, then it wouldnt let the a/c kick in since the fans arent kicking in. I guess I really have no idea so if anyone knows what or why it is doing this i would really appreciate it.

THanks Ben
Old 05-15-2006, 10:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

The fan on the drivers side is the ac fan. The passenger fan is the aux fan if the car runs hot. The drivers side fan should be on at all times with the ac, it shouldnt never turn off with the ac on. Relay fan 2 is the drivers. Fan 1 is the passenger. I might have those backwards. I dont know what relay 3 is, I think its for both. Relay 3 is a different part number, while 1 and 2 are the same. When I pulled it neither fan would come on. My fans quit working with the ac a while ago so I pulled the relays and moved them around to see if one was bad. I had the car running with the ac on and swapped relays till I heard the ac fan come on. I ended up having 1 bad relay.

The ac could be low on freon causing it not to cycle on. I dont know if the ac not cycling has anything to do with the fans coming on though. It could be a coolant temp censor issue as well, skewing when the fans should come on.

Anyway, I dont know if any of this helps, just throwing out what I did.
Old 05-19-2006, 10:41 PM
Launching!

Thanx A lot. I switched out all 3 relays with some other I had with a old harness and it still does it. So it wasnt a relay.

I am thinking that the coolant temp sensor might be bad but not sure. The fan doesnt always come on everytime i start it up. But if I hear them come on I can shut it off, turn the key all the way off and then start it back up and they wont come on. But it does effect my ac for sure. Everytime I hear the fans come on at start up the ac will not kick no matter how long i drive it. But when the fans dont come on the ac will work and cool just fine so I dont think its undercharged. But could the ECT cause the ec not to come on if it cycles the fan on at start up or what?