General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Door Paneling Cracked & Shafted by the Dealer

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2006, 09:41 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Door Paneling Cracked & Shafted by the Dealer

Fellas,

The door paneling on the passenger side of my ‘02 Firehawk has about a one inch crack starting at the top by the window and it runs straight down. I've had the car less then two years and it has an extended warranty. However, the Pontiac dealership said they wouldn’t touch it unless I pay $600. What's a good clear bonding agent I can put on that crack to keep it from running?

Thanks in advance,

Head
Old 05-15-2006, 04:30 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd want to know their reasoning behind wanting the $600 before thye touched it (I know I'd be throwing a fit if they weren't honoring the warranty)
Anyway you really have to take off the panel to get behind it and reinforce the weak area, use some fiberglass resin to reinforce the area (you can also glue some hard plastic to it to further strengthen the area)
Old 05-15-2006, 11:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Take it calmly and work out the details of your warranty with the dealer. My extended warranty (GM) required that I pay diagnostic fees and the cost of the repair up front, and if the claim was covered by the warranty - the bill would be taken care of 100%.

I didn't like this at first but after some conversation with the service manager we came to an agreement whereupon it was clearly understood what was covered and what was not covered by the warranty. So best case it's covered, and you can find this out ahead of time.

Worst case, depending on what type of warranty you have - interior panels might not be covered. If that's the case I would start shopping around eBay or here for a replacement panel. An 02 firehawk deserves a good part.

There are multiple threads about this in the appearence and detailing forum, including how to fix one that is cracked, and how to prevent ones that are not cracked from cracking.

Appearently it is a problem in extreme climates.
Old 05-16-2006, 08:37 AM
Teching In

Thanks so much fellas. Greatly appreciated!

Later,

Head
Old 05-16-2006, 02:47 PM
TECH Regular

Welcome to the club