General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Door rattles just won't go away

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2006, 06:19 PM
TECH Regular

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Door rattles just won't go away

After reading many other posts and replacing parts per their recommendation, I still have an annoying rattle sounding like the glass is going to break. It only rattles when more than half way down, never when all the way up or when the glass touches the weatherstrip. So far I replaced:

Outer door seal
Window stabilizers
Door latch
Lubed the window tracks and gear

I also checked the rivets they seem nice and tight. The rattle seems to happen if I close it harder. It will also happen if the passenger window is open and the driver window fully closed, and I shut the driver door hard enough. Any ideas? Thanks
Old 05-16-2006, 07:42 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry to hear.

The only thing I could think of is to try and pull the window in some more and see if that somehow corrects the problem.
Old 05-16-2006, 07:49 PM
TECH Regular

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't think it's the glass since when down, it looks like it rattles just as much as the passenger side, but the passenger door does not make that noise. The glass is seated nicely along the weatherstrip, and the window does not leak. What else should I be looking at besides the glass? Or should I just live with it? Does anyone else experience this when they shut the door hard?
Old 11-10-2006, 09:56 PM
TECH Addict

Did you ever get this fixed mine does this I know what it is but grease doesnt help. The roller towards the rear of the door has slack and rattles.
Old 11-11-2006, 09:30 PM
TECH Regular

My window used to rattle a lot when rolled down more than half way so I finally had an idea an it worked...

The window brackets I guess you could call them that (the 2 metal brackets with carpet on them, on top of the door under the stripping) well they are adjustable... so I just rolled down my window were I had the most play, pushed the bracket up to the window and tightened it down.

See if that helps..?
Old 11-11-2006, 09:38 PM
TECH Addict

I did that but mine still rattled mine was loose where the roller towards the rear of the door attached to the bracket that holds the window. The roller is rivted on and that was loose I just fixed it temporarly but will need to redo the rivet later on with a screw.
Old 11-11-2006, 10:26 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just had my passenger window replaced the other day. It still rattles but not as much as it did before. I adjusted the stabilizers when it was up so I'm going to try to do it where it rattles the most. Hopefully it works
Old 11-11-2006, 11:02 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cheap *** American cars. Always rattling.
Old 11-12-2006, 12:24 AM
TECH Addict

I agree on the door contruction for the most part is shitty. On the TA the door panels crack. The window motors dont last long and things rattle plus they use pop rivets for everything which sucks ***.

Quick Reply: Door rattles just won't go away