General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Check Engine light came on today, Whats wrong with my car??

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2006, 06:22 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Check Engine light came on today, Whats wrong with my car??

Ok so I installed my SLP induction lid and K&N airfilter last week and everything went pretty smooth. Except when I was taking the IAT sensor out of the lid I cracked the little plastic piece that "protects" the sensor. Anyway I've driven the car twice since I installed the parts. The first time the car drove fine without any problems. Well today I drove to the grocery store, and on the way back out of town I was doing like 45mph and downshifted to 3rd and took it up to about 75 pretty quick. Well right when I let off the gas and pushed in the clutch I saw the "service engine soon" light come on. Oh and the car runs fine and isn't showing any power loss. Anyone have an idea of whats wrong?? And if I can't find out what's wrong who do I go to?

Joel
Old 05-16-2006, 06:25 PM
On The Tree

Head to the zone, they scan it for free.
Old 05-16-2006, 06:30 PM
Banned

Sounds like its most likely something to do with the IAT sensor piece that got cracked. They are pretty sensitive, I've heard of them going bad on numerous intake installs, without even breaking/cracking anything.

Your best bet is just to get a new piece from the dealer, even if you bought the whole sensor it should only be about $20.

Good luck.
Old 05-16-2006, 08:35 PM
Launching!

Domestic Demon I hope your right about the IAT sensor. That's what I was thinking went wrong. Will it be ok if I drive the car with a bad sensor? Also does anyone else have an idea?

Joel
Old 05-16-2006, 10:03 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by ssmaro
Domestic Demon I hope your right about the IAT sensor. That's what I was thinking went wrong. Will it be ok if I drive the car with a bad sensor? Also does anyone else have an idea?

Joel
The IAT sensor basically just tell the ECU the temperature of the incoming air (Intake Air Temp), so its not exactly critical to engine operation. However, I wouldn't drive around with it broken if you can avoid doing so.

I'd say drive it to your nearest Autozone, get the code pulled for free, and go from there. Chances are the code will come up as something with the IAT, in which case go to the dealership and pick up a new one