General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Low oil light, but oil is full...???

Old 05-16-2006, 07:45 PM
Retired Street Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Low oil light, but oil is full...???

I started the car this morning and the low oil light was on. This was weird to me because I have honestly never seen it before. I always change the oil often and never had any issues with it burning off. So I pull the dipstick and check it, and it is right around where it should be, but it could use a drop or two. So I put some in, let it sit for awhile, and then start it again. Same thing, light still on. I add a tad more, let it sit. Then I check the dipstick and it is right in the sweet spot. I start it again, drive it for about 30 miles and the ******* light is still on. Is there a sensor that reads the level that might have got pinched or something like that? Let me know what you guys think. Thanks.

Matt
Old 05-16-2006, 07:49 PM
hashtagBMW

Mine will do that also sometimes. Then after a lil drive its gone.
Old 05-16-2006, 08:33 PM
TECH Senior Member

the oil sending unit on the top back of the manifold is the guage u could look at, other wise u should check the wires, if u know theres enough oil dont add anymore, youll put to much pressure in the block....blown rings, bad bearings, and it can ruin the springs and pump....oooo check your screen to, make sure theres no sludge in it
Old 05-17-2006, 01:24 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i think your problem lies withing the oil lvl sensor on the side of the pan. there is a sensor there that tells the computer the oil level incase its too low and can shut the engine downmaybe get it off the ground and make sure the wires havent come loose or maybe you caught something that knocked the sensor enough it needs replacement.
Old 05-17-2006, 07:32 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My car is doing the same thing. Sometimes it will stay off for a week or so, then come back on. I changed the oil thinking maybe it would help, but it came on again yesterday.
Old 05-17-2006, 07:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If the wires are attached firmly then might just be a bad sensor.
Old 05-17-2006, 08:16 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bifster
i think your problem lies withing the oil lvl sensor on the side of the pan. there is a sensor there that tells the computer the oil level incase its too low and can shut the engine downmaybe get it off the ground and make sure the wires havent come loose or maybe you caught something that knocked the sensor enough it needs replacement.
^^^What he said! The oil level sensor is what causes that light to go off. It's on the pass side of the oil pan. Mine has been intermittently going off for a while and I'm about to go pick up the part from the GM dealer. It's only $19.84. The part number is 12603782. I checked Napa, AZ, Car Quest, & Discount & none of them can even get it.
Old 05-17-2006, 08:48 AM
Retired Street Racer

Ok, thanks guys. I might have snagged it when I dropped the trans for the converter swap. That would explain it.
Old 05-17-2006, 01:19 PM
TECH Senior Member

lol the truth comes out ^^^^

Search this Thread