General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

temperature and oil pressure gauge Q's

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2006, 12:55 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default temperature and oil pressure gauge Q's

just bought my 2001 SS SOM, 62500 mi, T-tops, M6, Tan/black interior,flowmaster, for 15500.00. I love the car. car is mostly stock and drives strong. I had some concerns about a few things. First my oil pressure gauge starts at 40 and when I step on the gas it moves to about 60. Is this normal? and my temperature gauge is at Half way sometimes a bit below half way. Should it be at a quarter? or is my reading ok? I just thought it might be running a little hotter than what it should be. Maybe its just me.....
Old 05-17-2006, 01:17 AM
Launching!

looks likeyour readings are the same as mine so i think they are ok. dont forget you have a 195 thermostat in there. the coolent will be pretty close to 200 anyways so that little bit on the guage could be all it needs to point out the temp. as for oil pressure i have the same thing again with is good i think, pretty sure its around there even with a mechanical guage so I wouldnt worry about it too much, keep in mind also that these guages are electronic and sometimes malfunction or are not calibrated properly at the factory so use them as reference not as an exact reading. If you see big fluctuations in them that are abnormal then maybe something is up and you should chack it out but if they arent using uncharted teritories then theres nuthign much to worry about.
Old 05-17-2006, 04:24 PM
TECH Regular

yes your oil pressure seems okay. the reason you oil pressure guage moves around is because it is a live/real time gauge and since the oil pump is spun off the crank, the pressure will and should go up with rpm. as for the temp guage 99 and newer cars have a dummy guage, once the motor warms up it goes to right below 210 and stays unless there is a overheat condition. I guess Gm did this because people where concerned about the temps moving around. in 98 and older cars you can watch the guage climb to ~220 in town until the fans come on then go back down to ~195 when you get on the highway.