General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

PLEASE HELP! Pulling my hair out!

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2006, 08:24 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PLEASE HELP! Pulling my hair out!

OK... I am having a really weird problem with my car.

This has happened intermittently in the past, but now it's completely taken over....

I initially noticed my gauges would go off, tach, water temp, fuel gauge. All except speedo and oil pressure. Well... once I shut the engine off, it won't start again... it just click click clicks.... the gauges flutter as I'm doing this.

I've replaced the starter, charged the battery, redid the wiring to the starter, tried wiring the starter directly to the battery with a push-button, replaced the ignition fuse, gauge cluster fuse, ign relay, starter relay.

I can bump start the vehicle by rolling back in the driveway, but the key won't work... just clicks. I started it a few minutes ago, took it for a run around the block and when I got back the gauges were messing up... I waited till they went back to normal and turned the car off, tried to start it up from the key and it STARTED to turn the engine (like maybe 1 piston fired), then it was like it hit a brick wall trying to turn it and just started clicking again (faster clicking than before, but same sound).

Anybody have any idea what the HELL is going on? I'm thinking MAYBE it's PCM related or maybe a fuse or... I dunno?? Please help before I do somethign stupid like hit the car with a sledgehammer or jump off a bridge...
Old 05-21-2006, 10:13 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did your battery ever leak?
If so replace the positive cable, a leaky battery fucked up a friends positive cable inside, (Grand Prix) and caused all kinds of random electrical problems, changed the cable and boom no more problems
Old 05-21-2006, 10:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My 1st thoughts as well. Had the same problem and condition a while back. It sounds like he did every thing but, the cable.

Try shaking and wiggling, pulling on the positive cable once started. While you have someone watch you gauges, ect. to see if you can duplicate the problem, with out driving.
Old 05-21-2006, 10:47 PM
Launching!

Are you talking about the main cable that goes to the fuse block? I'll mess with it some more tomorrow and see what happens.....

I don't understand how.... if I ran the power cable from the battery straight to the starter, and a switch the same way that it would make the starter just click. I'm basically running that independent of the vehicles electrical system.

Like I said I'll mess with it tomorrow, but does anybody else have any ideas?
Old 05-21-2006, 11:16 PM
TECH Addict

You might also look at the ground cable (negative battery cable) you also might want to check the battery too, a dead cell can cause some wierd starting/electrical problems
Old 05-22-2006, 12:41 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

whats ur voltage rating?
Old 05-22-2006, 07:03 AM
Launching!

It's coming back 13-14 volts..... 850 cranking amps...
Except for yesterday, I haven't driven it in a couple weeks because of this problem and I'm having withdrawals!

I'm almost fed up enough to just take it to the stealership and let them deal with it.
Old 05-22-2006, 07:52 AM
TECH Resident

get a new dash cluster and new battery wires.. that happened to me and dealer changed all that when it was under a warranty.
Old 05-22-2006, 07:59 AM
Launching!

Jaysus! That wil be fackin expensive! I'll try the battery wires first..
Old 05-22-2006, 04:01 PM
Launching!

Oh and I almost forgot... sometimes (after this other problem started...) the headlights will go up and then back down when I lock my car... what the hell... and that is intermittent as well.
Old 05-22-2006, 05:43 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by FunkyTownFBody
Oh and I almost forgot... sometimes (after this other problem started...) the headlights will go up and then back down when I lock my car... what the hell... and that is intermittent as well.
That sounds more like the gears on the headlight motor, rather than the electrical gremlins
Old 05-22-2006, 08:50 PM
Launching!

Something has to send them power up...
They go like halfway up and turn on, and then go back down. Only when the horn honks when I lock it. lol... this is ridiculous
Old 05-22-2006, 10:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

try and replace ground cable.
Old 05-23-2006, 04:56 AM
TECH Enthusiast

hmm if your getting full volts to your gauge and only clicking , sounds like it could be a short circuit.. i wouldnt go buying all that **** when a volt gauge could tell you whats going on .. and you could actually find whats doing it.
Old 05-27-2006, 05:49 PM
Launching!

I don't know what to check! Autozone guys said I have a ground problem...

Do I need to pull the old ground to block completely off or can I ground it somewhere else on the block with a new cable? The old one runs over the starter, so I'd have to pull the starter... and it's like 200* outside and I'll die if I try to do that right now lol.
Old 05-27-2006, 10:52 PM
Launching!

It seems like maybe I need to shim the starter more... but WTF it had the same symptoms with the STOCK starter, what gives? When I removed the starter earlier, I think I heard the starter gear disengage from the flywheel.. which means it was hung or something....

Say I shim it so it's not popping out too far, will that even help my problem?

I'm about to take it somewhere and pay for a diagnosis and just fix whatever they say it is.
Old 06-01-2006, 06:51 AM
Launching!

Problem solved.

Ran a new ground cable from the battery to the block, started right up, and I'm not having any weird electrical problems like my gauges acting weird.