General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Not the usual t-top leak question...click here!

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2006, 04:49 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Not the usual t-top leak question...click here!

I know everybody has t-top leaks in their f-body. But how major or minor is yours? And what do you do to deal with it? Have you ever had it water leak inspected to find out exactly where it was coming from?

Here's my story...
The passenger side has been leaking for a while. And it's always the rear floor that puddles up. So normally I'll take an absorbant pad and get as much water out as I can, or I'll use a vacuum to soak it all up. and if it's warm out I'll leave the car open to air out and dry. I've never been able to find it though. I finally had enough and had it water leak inspected. After they found it they said it was free since it took less than an hour and they're giving me my car back with the interior panels pulled out. But what they told me shocked me. The t-top, window, and rear hatch seals are perfect, no leaks at all. The water was coming from the amp power cord that I ran down the passenger side, through the firewall grommet under the ECM. The grommet got pulled out when I put the carpet back down. So I pushed the grommet back in and started drying up all the water, The whole floor is wet from the firewall to under the rear seat so everything is pulled up. Finally when it was about dry it rained again and even with the grommet plugged in nice and tight it leaked. So I guess it's coming from that small hole through the grommet for the wire. I will have to get some kind of silicone to seal it up for good.

Lessons learned. So if any of you have a t-top leak and not exactly sure if it's your t-tops or where it's coming from, and you ran your amp wire or any wire for that matter through a grommet in your firewall, check it!

Here's a pic of it pulled out:
Old 05-30-2006, 04:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow, that is strange. Guess your happy to have found it though I know I would be. I couldn't tell ya if my T-tops leak. I have never had it out in the rain since I've owned it. The funny part is my car was a "flood vehicle" when I bought it so water got in at one time
Old 05-30-2006, 05:17 PM
TECH Apprentice

After every wash i use baby oil on mine and havent had any problems yet, and put it straight on the rubber itself.
Old 05-30-2006, 05:20 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I ran my SLP fan switch through that grommet, never used any caulking/silicone before reinstalling the PCM. Hasn't leaked. Sure that's it? If it's puddling at the rear real bad under the rear seat I'd think it was the window seal or the grommet under the seat? Time will tell I guess. BTW, when it rains hard I always get a few drops on my forearm on the drivers side.
Old 05-30-2006, 09:59 PM
TECH Resident

[QUOTE=2001NBMZ28]If it's puddling at the rear real bad under the rear seat I'd think it was the window seal or the grommet under the seat? Time will tell I guess.QUOTE]

This is EXACTLY what I was thinking. But I guess the carpet could soak it up and eventually get into that area. Or during acceleration it would pull it up there? I have no idea. But I pulled my ECM and poured some water down there, sure enough it was leaking pretty strongly. Even when I reset the grommet, the hole for the wire was too large. So I used some black silicone to make it air tight hehe. I guess now time will tell. I had the car pretty much dried out, the panels were still off and carpet pulled up, and when it rained this past weekend it was the front that was wet again, the back was still dry so it might be coming from that little hole. Oh, and I realized it was still soaked under the front seat so right now the whole passenger side is pulled up lol. God I hate it. Glad to have found it though!
Old 05-30-2006, 10:15 PM
Launching!

I ran my fan switch through there too, and had leaks as well. I used RTV to seal it up thinking that was it. It wasn't.

It turns out that since I was parking with my car facing downhill (so water wouldn't puddle up in the PCM area) it was creating a levee situation in the rear hatch area. When my car was level it was okay, but at an angle (not even a steep one mind you) the v trough where the hatch goes horizontal would pool up and go under the weatherstripping into the hatch area. The area in particular was just forward of the rear passenger seat belt retract and would pool up the rear bucket and overflow into the front passenger floorpan, creating that illusion.

Do what you think, but if you have some silicone left over I highly recommend you apply some under the hatch weather stripping the trough area. After about 5 inches away from the "v" it is able to run off naturally without over flowing.
Old 06-02-2006, 08:04 PM
TECH Resident

It's been pouring all weekend and the car is still bone dry inside!! WOW I'm so happy! I haven't been this thrilled since I bought the car. I haven't sealed up that "V" yet, blackrat, but once the weather clears up I will get on it just in case it is leaking too. Thanks for all the help!!
Old 06-03-2006, 08:25 AM
Launching!

well here is one thing to help anybody. Whenever you are running something through there put a loop in the wire going into the grommet. The water will always follow the wire to the lowest point. If you make the lowest point inside the engine compartment, that's where most of the water will stay.

Sorry for the bad picture, i'm a work and all i have here is MSPaint.
Attached Thumbnails Not the usual t-top leak question...click here!-wire.jpg  
Old 06-03-2006, 11:03 PM
TECH Resident

hehe, you mean alongside the factory wiring? I knew that lol.