General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

pop ups come up with running lights

Old 06-03-2006, 02:55 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default pop ups come up with running lights

hey guys i just bought this 98 formula and have a question. ive been trying to take care of the little things that the previous owner neglected like bulbs and such. anyways is the headlights supposed to come up when the running lights are on? they dont turn on but do pop up. it seems like the amber lights work anytime the car is running, and the fog lights only when the headlights are on. whats going on?? this car does have an aftermarket alarm and remote start, could that be messing with things?? thanks for the help.
Old 06-03-2006, 04:04 PM
Shirley Temple Drinker

Mine was doing the same thing. When you put the lights down, does one of them ratchet a bit? If so unplug that motor, flip your switch back and forth a few times, all the way to the left, leave it for a few seconds, then to the middle, running lights, and see if it works then. You can then plug that motor back in, and NEVER turn on your headlights, or you can leave it unplugged and just use your fogs, like I do. If you do this, then plug it back in and turn on your headlights, then your gonna be back to sqaure 1. This is just a temp fix untill you replace the headlight motor on that side.
Old 06-03-2006, 04:11 PM
TECH Apprentice

If its you hearlight motor, manually raise the head light and take out the motor. take the motor apart and flip the gear inside to the unused side, put some grease in there and re install it. if its not the motor, see if any of the foward light wires have been cut or spliced
Old 06-03-2006, 07:56 PM
11 Second Club

the motors work fine, drivers side does grind for a couple seconds after they go back down, but I did find the link on that repair and will do it soon. i just dont understand why they popup when the running lights are on. I dont think i can go without my headlights and only use the fogs, but thanks for the input.
Old 06-04-2006, 11:29 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Its all related to a striped gear.......
https://ls1tech.com/forums/pontiac-firebird-1967-2002/177470-firebird-headlights-all-comments-questions-regarding-headlights-go-here.html
Old 06-04-2006, 12:02 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by N3V3RL8T
If its you hearlight motor, manually raise the head light and take out the motor. take the motor apart and flip the gear inside to the unused side, put some grease in there and re install it. if its not the motor, see if any of the foward light wires have been cut or spliced
No need to take it apart, just pull the raise/lower arm off and spin the motor manually 180 degrees.
Old 06-05-2006, 06:02 PM
11 Second Club

thanks for all the help guys, got it fixed....
Old 06-06-2006, 08:10 PM
TECH Apprentice

ahah...shiat man, i thought about it...and that is all you have to do to fix it...just spin the the little dillywhap around and bolt the arm back on...oh well. i went though a lot of trouble for nothing...

Search this Thread