General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

headlight problems

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2006, 09:35 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default headlight problems

The headlights on my Trans Am pop up whenever I switch my foglights on, and they pop up and down a few times when i activate and deactivate my Viper alarm system. Everytime the headlight closes, there's a really loud whining sound coming from the headlight motor. Is this a electrical problem or motor problem, or both? Thanks
Old 06-04-2006, 10:56 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

been there done that

its the crappy nylon gear inside the headlight motor, not sure which one it is, listen to it and see which side its coming from, it may even be both

there is a trick you can do for free that "may" fix it w/o a new mgear

figure out which one is making the noise, and then manually roll that light up, take off the headlight bezel and there is a bolt holding the shaft to the motor, take that bolt off, take off the shaft, rotate the motor 180 degrees, put the shaft back on, this should clear up the headlight noise when the lights go down, and keep the lights from coming up when the fogs turn on/alarm flashes, it may make the headlight make noise when they go up though.. if so, you need a new gear.,they make a brass gear for around $40, the how to at the bottom i gave you also shows you where to get it

here is a how to with pictures to show you what you need to do in that case.... it also shows how to do what i described above

good luck...

http://www.bfranker.badz28.com/headl....htm#FreeGuide
Old 06-04-2006, 11:26 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Theres a sticky in the Firebird Forum.............
https://ls1tech.com/forums/pontiac-firebird-1967-2002/177470-firebird-headlights-all-comments-questions-regarding-headlights-go-here.html
Old 06-04-2006, 04:53 PM
On The Tree

Thanks guys
Old 06-23-2006, 06:28 PM
TECH Apprentice

I love this web sight. This is makes one, two, fifty I don't even know how times this place and the people on it have saved me time and money. Just want to give every one on here props for helping you fellow fbodys and the few ford guys around here. SO THANKS to every one that share there knowledge