General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Door hinge making scratchy sounds?

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2006, 11:14 PM
TECH Regular

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Door hinge making scratchy sounds?

I think there's some dirt caught in the door hinges making a sound when the door is opening or closing (at the position where the spring keeps it from opening further easily). Anyone else experience this? I hope I don't have to replace the door hinge. When the door is opened, it shows no signs of sagging when slightly lifting the rear of the door or when closing it. Thanks

BTW, does not do it all the time. There are times it sounds quiet, then there are times I hear what sounds like dirt grinding into the metal (not a whole lot).
Old 06-07-2006, 12:39 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd try putting some lithium lube on it and see if it stops. Just a thought.
Old 06-07-2006, 05:52 AM
TECH Regular

I tried cleaning around the bushings and re-lubing with white lithium grease (not the spray stuff). Helped a little, but I still hear it sometimes. I hope it's not the door hinge as I have no experience in replacing those and am afraid to have someone change it and the door not lining up properly when done.
Old 06-09-2006, 06:36 AM
TECH Regular

I think the lower hinge is rusting out (it could be the rust I'm hearing intermittently when I open and close the door). After spraying, and trying the hinge again, I noticed a brown spot on the rocker panel. I sprayed more, and got more brown stuff (the lubricant coming out of the can is clear).
Old 06-09-2006, 12:33 PM
TECH Regular

niiice. Yeah usually scratching noises on moving parts are from A.) dirt or debris or B.) not enough lubricant.

If I were you, i'd probably take the door off, remove the hinge, and grind the rust off, then re-paint it. Might be more trouble than it's worth though.
Old 06-10-2006, 09:29 AM
TECH Regular

Well, I bought a new lower hinge. I'm taking the car to the body shop this week and am going to ask them to paint the new hinge, then install it. What precautions should I take? I want the door in the exact same position as I left it. Thanks.
Old 06-10-2006, 02:33 PM
TECH Regular

make sure the door isn't warped where the hinge bolts up. Make sure everything is tight. You are aying to have it done so if it lines up wrong, tell them you wont pay until it's right.
Old 06-11-2006, 08:02 AM
TECH Regular

Do you think it's too much to ask if I ask them to paint the new hinge?