General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Awful screech noise

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2006, 11:24 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Awful screech noise

I'm trying to help my buddy out here (he is not big on internet forums). I am running out of ideas.

He's got an LS1 car, it makes an awful noise sometimes. You can't 'make' the noise happen, it is very intermittent and its very hard to tell what triggers it.

It is like a bad belt noise, x1000. But it's not the belt. No idlers/pulleys are loose and the tensioner springs right back like it should.

If anything, it seems like it won't happen when the car is cold. If you are driving and the noise starts, if you get above 2k rpms it goes away. I noticed when he pulled into my driveway (90 degree turn then 45 degree incline) that it seemed to trigger the noise. He pulled it up and it idled making the awful squawk. Shut it off, turned it right back on and it was gone.

If you are sitting stationary (no noise) with the car on and you turn the wheel lock to lock, it won't trigger the noise.

It is not affected by a/c. It will happen with it on and with it off and doing the opposite doesn't shut it up.

The fact that the noise more often than not starts when he is turning makes me think PS pump. It is fully topped off. I suggested to him running a shorter belt to delete the power steering for a day and see if that helps any...

Thoughts?
Old 06-14-2006, 04:18 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Similar issue (possibly power steering)

2002 Camaro SS , 67k mi
all stock (still under extended warranty, but not for long!) except for new Bendix pads and rotors

I've got a similar problem:
Hard braking sometimes combined with cornering to the right causes a loud whirring noise to come from the front left side of the car. This whirring persists for a short while afterward and the volume of the whirring gets louder (and becomes more whiny) with engine RPM.
A more knowledgable buddy of mine thinks it might be the PM pump, but he's not sure. This whirring has been getting slowly worse for about 20k miles and my new pads and rotors didn't make any difference (except improved braking). Listening to the whirring with the hood up makes it seem like it's coming from behind the engine...transmission? I'm taking it in for service tomorrow and I'm going to play dumb. I'll keep the thread advised.

Last edited by tdown182; 06-14-2006 at 04:22 PM. Reason: inserted "(and becomes more whiny)"