General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

blown engine

Old 06-14-2006, 07:34 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default blown engine

Ok i thought i would be able to repair whatever blew on the motor after driving it hard with 2 quarts less of oil in it. Turns out my wrist pins are blown and it would take an unbelieveable amount of work to rebuild the motor. new connecting rods,rings,pistons.gaskets, bring the block to a machine shop and at best if nothing else is fucked im gonna need to get it honed. My best bet is just pick up a new LS1 out of a junk yard and cross my fingers on finding one soon. In the meantime im driving it around no problem. He said the damage is done and there is nothing i can do about it now. So whatever im looking for a new LS1 if anyone knows anyone or place to pick one up for around 2k with decent milage let me know. Im just gonna take it to englishtown sometime next week and if i break it who cares. just thought id let everyone know hahaah
Old 06-15-2006, 01:24 AM
TECH Regular

That sucks to hear man. Why was it two quarts down on oil? How many miles on the car?
Old 06-15-2006, 02:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

sorry to hear, every once in a while youll find one in the for sale forums here, or check ebay
Old 06-15-2006, 07:36 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What are the wrist pins?
Old 06-15-2006, 12:08 PM
Staging Lane

it was down 2 quarts im thinking because it was burning which i hear these ls1s do burn a lot of oil. There is 87k on the clock and everything was well maintained from the previous owner. Probably the main reason is i never changed the oil when i got it back from MA which was about a 400 mile trip. Then driving it hard day in and out since i just got the car and showing everyone what it feels like who got in the car. and then another 4 hour long trip. So 50 bucks in the short run for 6 quarts of synthetic and a filter woulda saved me like 4 g's now... I guess im taking it as a life lesson to never cheap out on the important things

Search this Thread