General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Vibration/Clunk/WTF?

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2006, 10:42 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vibration/Clunk/WTF?

So when ever my car is under some torque (first and second gear under normal driving) It makes this clunking noise that kinda changes into a vibration with the rpms. It is coming from the around the trans/rear of the engine. I noticed that my shifter was vibrating alot and you could see it move with the clunking so I changed the trans mount. That didnt help, and I think by going to poly I just excentuated the problem. I bought a Torque arm bushing but I havent put it in yet, however, I am starting to think that wont fix it either. Yesterday I noticed I could really feel the noise comming from the tunnel/floorboard/firewall. Motor mounts? kinda confused with a problem that is kinda hard to describe. Let me know if anyone has any ideas.
Old 06-19-2006, 10:44 PM
TECH Apprentice

Y pipe is banging the floor board and causing the vibration would be my guess.
Old 06-19-2006, 11:37 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a buddy that did not have a plug wire plugged in all the way.. I noticed his shifter was shakin bad I said dude, whats up with that. So, he screwed around with the car all day, found a plug wire loose and it fixed the problem. Just a suggestion.
Old 07-08-2006, 03:58 PM
TECH Resident

First check everything. Look at the torque are bushing and see if that's gone to ****. If so replace it and see if that fixed the problem. If not then my guess is motor mounts. I just got done replacing my torque side motor mount with a energy suspension poly one. The install was a real PITA!