General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

I need help with backfire issue...

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2006, 01:03 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I need help with backfire issue...

I have a 99 T/A A4 and when I turn the keys for ignition the engine fires up then dies down after a second and backfires. It doesnt happen ALL the time but its becoming more frequent. Sometimes I will start the car and it seems its going to die on me and backfire but i give it some gas and it runs fine. What could be the cause of this backfiring?
Old 06-19-2006, 02:58 PM
Launching!

your air/fuel ratio could be off or you could have a bad fuel pump
Old 06-20-2006, 12:47 AM
TECH Apprentice

i just took my car in to a pontiac/buick/gmc dealership and had them do a 60,000 mile tune up...i think they cleaned out my fuel injection and some other things and i noticed the backfire started up a little after they had it....do u think i should take it back over there and tell them that im having backfire issues due to their tune up?
Old 06-20-2006, 10:51 AM
TECH Enthusiast

If ti started after they had the car I would take it back to them for sure. Every time a stealership did any work on my car I had to either take it back to them or fix their ****-ups myself. They work on flat-rate and and have to rush everything they do so there is a good chance they caused you problems.
Old 06-30-2006, 01:00 AM
TECH Apprentice

yeah they said the cleaned my fuel injection...now when i turn the ignition it fires and then dies out to a backfire...sometimes i have to give it gas just to keep it from dying...weakness...someone said it could be my TB sticking? could this be the cause?