General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Starting car restoration

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2006, 10:42 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Starting car restoration

I want to get into car restoration. I've read books on the subject and ect. and now I feel that Im ready to start (I have the whole summer so I've got lots of time to waste) the problem is Im not sure which car I should choose to be my first project.

I want it to be somthing I can resell for a profit (even if its marginal), somthing that parts are readly available, not too expensive and lastly somthing that wont be too difficult to sell.

My first thought was a 78 trans am but if I restore that car I don't think I'd be able to sell it (its one of the cars I desperatly want) and right now its not an option to keep a car.

so any ideas?
Old 06-20-2006, 06:11 PM
TECH Apprentice

ALmost any chevelle as long as it dosnt have too many doors. my first car was a 69 chevelle 2 door ht. but I got my asking price the very first day it was inthe paper to the very first caller. any first or early second gen f-body. mopars are cool. my advice is to start driving backroads looking for cars hiddin behind houses and barns and such. if your in texas I could tell you where a crap load of these cars would be.
Old 06-20-2006, 08:55 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

1st gen f body meets your criteria for parts availability, they generally sell well, and you can (if you look hard enough) find a stripper 6 banger for fairly cheap, (that you can turn into a Z28 clone) that's not in too horrid a condition.
What condition are looking, for are you prepared and capable of doing rust repair/body work, painting, engine, and mechanicals
Remember budget 2x the time you think, and 3x the budget
Gms are generally easiest to find parts for, Mustangs are also a good choice, Mopars are harder to find parts for, and the parts are more expensive (in general)
Old 06-21-2006, 08:29 AM
Teching In

I wont be able to fix rust holes and shitty floors, I can't weld :/ Painting I can do my friend has his own set up.

Looking for cars on back roads won't really work for me. Being in Vermont any car thats been sitting outside through winters is pretty much worthless to me since I can't repair body work.
Old 06-21-2006, 09:16 AM
TECH Regular

It Sounds Like You Should Start With Some Thing Simple Since You Cant Weld, Paint, Or Do Bodywork Yourself. Cause That Is Mostly What Is Involved With Restorations. Maybe You Should Find Someone Unfinished Project(something Thats Almost Done) And Finish Up The Details. Or Find A Late Model That Needs Alot Of Detailing And Some Parts Replaced.
Old 06-21-2006, 11:22 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by zoxygen
I wont be able to fix rust holes and shitty floors, I can't weld :/ Painting I can do my friend has his own set up.

Looking for cars on back roads won't really work for me. Being in Vermont any car thats been sitting outside through winters is pretty much worthless to me since I can't repair body work.
Since you're in VT can I suggest checking out the Hemmings cruise night on (I believe) the third thursday of every month. I'll be there for the one they are holding the week after fourth of July (15th I think). Look for either a Gold 74 Firebird or a Red 00 T/A with Black AR Rebels (the Hawk won't be coming out of the garage for that one...too far.

You might find some decent cars there that fit your desires. I know I might get laughed at, but a older VW Bug is extremely easy to work on and find parts for, and might be kinda fun as a starter car.
Old 06-21-2006, 11:33 AM
TECH Veteran

The only way you will ever make a profit is to pretty much get an unrestored car in good condition and sell it OR don't put a lot of money into it.

Quick Reply: Starting car restoration