General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

My car won't start, help please

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2006, 10:30 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default My car won't start, help please

Over the past two months every once in a while when I would turn the key to start the car it wouldn't turn over(or do anything), but the second time I turn it, it would start. This morning when i was about to leave for work, I tried to start it and nothing. I tried a few more times and still nothing. The battery isn't dead. any suggestions?
Old 06-23-2006, 10:47 AM
Staging Lane

Mine was doning the same thing. I found my battery cable coming loose. Might not fix your concern, but defenatly something to look at.
Old 06-23-2006, 11:23 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Sounds like the fuel pump is toast. Get a pressure guage on the end of the fuel rail and check it. Should read 52-56 psi when you prime the pump.
Old 06-23-2006, 01:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JakeY2KZ
Sounds like the fuel pump is toast. Get a pressure guage on the end of the fuel rail and check it. Should read 52-56 psi when you prime the pump.
if the fuel pump was out wouldn't the car still turn over?
Old 06-23-2006, 07:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OK, let's start this thread over. How the h_ll can somebody jump to the idiotic conclusion that it's the fuel pump!?!

There's a lot of threads like this already, so I'd suggest a search. But if the first questions asked aren't like the following, then ignore them...

1) Does it turn over?
2) When you turn the key to the 2nd position, do you have any noise/lights from the instrument panel?
3) All cables tight?

A "no" to any of these will get us off on the right foot...
Old 06-24-2006, 12:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i figured out that it was some gay security light
Old 06-24-2006, 04:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Starter will do that, if it is toast, you will not get a response. My Camaro did that..In the most inconvient time.
Old 06-24-2006, 04:15 PM
On The Tree

my car has done that 2 me twice, i noticed the security light both times, & both times it was the battery going dead, i guess i should invest in a yellow top!!
Old 06-26-2006, 06:59 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by LTSpeed
OK, let's start this thread over. How the h_ll can somebody jump to the idiotic conclusion that it's the fuel pump!?!

There's a lot of threads like this already, so I'd suggest a search. But if the first questions asked aren't like the following, then ignore them...

1) Does it turn over?
2) When you turn the key to the 2nd position, do you have any noise/lights from the instrument panel?
3) All cables tight?

A "no" to any of these will get us off on the right foot...
An idiotic conclusion...get over yourself buddy.

First off, I based my "conclusion" off a personal experience. I had the same symptoms in my LT1. Car wouldn't start on the first crank, then on the second try it would fire up. Shop checked the pressure on it's last leg. That's why I told him to put a pressure guage on it and check. (Did you read that part?)

Second...lets take a look at what you posted....

1. Does it turn over
Obviously you're not reading at all b/c he states right in his first post that it doesn't turn over on the first try and then on the second it starts up.

2. When you turn the key to the 2nd position, do you have any noise/lights from the instrument panel?

What the hell is this going to tell you. If you turn it to the second position w/o starting the car, some of your dummy lights are going to be on (ses being the most important one)

3. All cables tight?
Wow....if the car started right up on the second try, I'm pretty sure that the all cables are tight. If they weren't the car wouldn't start or turn over at all.
Old 06-29-2006, 06:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

JakeY2KZ, Tech Apprentice: I'm surprised you could count to 3...

I listed the normal questions...in the normal order...that the tech manuals ask. Your experience offered the guy nothing more than a total shot in the dark. You didn't have nearly enough info to think he had the same problem as you. There are over 100 threads like this on this site and maybe 1 or 2 with the proble you have.

As for #2, that's the diag for the ignition switchbox, which goes out on his model car fairly often. If he'd answered no to that one, #3 would be the next check.

If you want to help people here, you might want to learn how to work on your own car instead of sending it to somebody.