General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Basic oil question

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2006, 10:57 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Basic oil question

Okay so I bought my car from a dealership and they have no idea at what mileage they put the oil in and what type they put in. I have an automatic 99 ws6 and I was wondering what type of oil I should use? Would it hurt to switch over from a different oil since I don't know what type is in there?
Old 06-28-2006, 11:18 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

wow...the dealership doesnt know that stuff?....hmm sounds kinda shady....yea id change out the oil asap...while your at it...FLUSH the tranny and change the filter and fluid in that to....
Old 06-29-2006, 08:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A quick search of the forum for oil will give you a great example of the oil war going on. Oil is a very emotional subject here...

Most folks will suggest you use synthetic oil. I'm one of those people. Get a true synthetic, not one of those hydrocracked petroleum oils. I use Mobil 1. Per common wisdom here, the Mobil oils are a little thin for their weight range, but 5w or 10w-30 would work fine.

If you're an oil newbie, search the web and get educated. BobIsTheOilGuy.Com has a great deal of information.

Change it yourself and save money. You could pay for your hydraulic jack and jackstands in a couple of oil changes.
Old 06-29-2006, 08:05 AM
TECH Fanatic

I'm going to throw in my 2 Cent's and say DO NOT flush the transmission if it hasn't been done regulary by the previous owner! That can do more bad than good.
Old 06-29-2006, 04:55 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

or....you could just go with what gm says use?...lol and thatd be funny never flushing the trans....thered be so much garbage built up and the heat and friction would be crazy
Old 06-29-2006, 05:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Over time that "garbage" replaces worn parts of the transmission so guess what happens when you flush it. yup you wash away all the crap replacing the worn parts and your trans starts to slip! I've seen it happen many times
Old 06-29-2006, 06:22 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Camaroz
I'm going to throw in my 2 Cent's and say DO NOT flush the transmission if it hasn't been done regulary by the previous owner! That can do more bad than good.
I agree, if the transmission fluid hasnt been normally changed, just leave it. I've seen people make that mistake before and as soon as they change the fluid all hell breaks loose in the transmission.
Old 06-29-2006, 07:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For your trans, I'd say look up the maintenance schedule in the Owner's Manual and act accordingly. If it were mine, I'd get (or do) the fluid/filter change if it's more than 50k miles, then stay with the schedule.

As you become more familiar with your ride, you may change more often. I wouldn't think a flush/fill from a reasonably trustworthy shop would be damaging for a first change. Be advised, however, that a first flush/fill/filter at an extremely high mileage situation (over prob 100k mi) may be problematic after a flush/fill/filter, or even an fluid/filter change. MAY being the key word. Anecdotal evidence suggests that problems may develop with some cars, but I would say the percentage isn't great.

I did my first fluid/filter change at about 80k miles. No idea what was done prior, but it looked like 7k mile oil. I haven't had any problems since the change. I put a chrome pan w/plug in it recently and will be able to change the fluid w/out changing the filter at half-intervals.
Old 06-30-2006, 12:20 PM
11 Second Club

What about filters? Is there an oil filter that everyone likes best? I've seen some posts that say "don't use fram", etc. - what do you guys think?
Old 07-02-2006, 01:37 AM
Launching!

I personally think that the stock AC PF-46 filter is the best. So my suggestion would be use the PF-46 oil filter.