General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

How To Seafoam Your Car

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2006, 08:21 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 1989 Chevy C1500 with over 300,000 miles on the 305. Should I even think about seafoaming it or leave it alone?
Old 08-06-2006, 08:55 PM
Tech Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i'd do it. i think you'll find another 30hp you forgot you had and God only knows how many mpg's.

you may mess up your plugs....though it's far more likely to not hurt the plugs. i think that even if something goes wrong, the benefits will outweigh the problems.

i would just let the seafoam sit in the engine EXTRA long, maybe even a few hours. that way, the carbon will dissolve instead of flake off. with that many miles, there's likely a LOT of carbon and if you don't let it sit enough, it could leave chunks. letting it soak will greatly increase the chance of dissolving all the carbon chunks.
Old 08-07-2006, 12:27 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a problem with a 300,000 mile 4.3 s10 that after seafoaming just like the tutorial, developed all sorts of nasty leaks. I imagine that the carbon buildup and sludge inside the motor acted as a "sealant" to the very dry and old seals and gaskets. I had a leaky rear main, oil pan, oil cooler hose. Couple hours of driving later the engine started smoking very badly. Yanked the motor soon after and opened it up for curiosity's sake and the engine was noticeaby cleaner in spots and the parts where there were leaks were in the "clean" sections of the motor. The area around the part where the head gasket had failed was clean. Just a caution that you may not want to do it to very high mileage engines since all that crap is probably what's holding it together
Old 08-07-2006, 07:19 AM
Tech Resident

that's true. the carbon buildup could be acting like a lining in a pool. once it's gone, it could leak like a pasta strainer.

if the truck is running fine after 300,000 miles, don't do it. if it's a piece of **** that runs like a dump truck and there's little to lose and lots to gain, do it.
Old 08-07-2006, 08:39 PM
Staging Lane

Rough idle and stalling gone!

Pulled the vacuum line off and ran the the car again to ensure all of the Seafoam was cleared out, re-checked the line when it was re-installed and Q-Tipped the IAC. Guessing the root cause was left over Seafoam in the line....

Running great! Plugs and oil this weekend!
Old 08-07-2006, 09:42 PM
Tech Resident

good to hear. i woulda banked on the IAC. i'm awesome
Old 08-10-2006, 03:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

THANKS for the info, buddy of mine was just telling me about how i should use seafoam. he said he use to dump a quarter can of seafoam into his transmissions after he rebuilt them or put a shift kit into them.

Last edited by -Freak-; 08-10-2006 at 08:42 PM.
Old 08-11-2006, 01:38 AM
TECH Enthusiast

This is a great write up! I just seafoamed my car and it runs 10x better. Still have to burn all the seafoam out of the gas though. My car only has 40000 miles and i smoked up the whole street for about two blocks. I have recomended this to my friends and gave them this address for instructions. Thanks Choco for this great write up.
Old 08-14-2006, 10:38 AM
Teching In

I just seafoamed my 02 Z28 and my friends 93 Taurus...The Z smoked for like 20 minutes! It was crazy. The Taurus didn't smoke as much but it runs a whole lot better. This was a great write-up and really worked for me!
Old 08-14-2006, 09:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i just got done sea foaming my car. didn't blow to much smoke, couple good blue clouds and that was it. oil was as black as the ace of spades after i ran it 100 miles.
Old 08-14-2006, 11:06 PM
Launching!

damn i'm glad i got around to doing this today, she had a pretty bad tick before the seafoam. now it's only slightly noticable when i'm givin her hell. seems to have freed up a few ponies too. F'n A man!!
Old 08-15-2006, 12:02 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i just seafoamed the top end of my 88 GTA with 144,600 miles on it. i was very suprised that i didnt get a cloud of death. pretty much just got one decent size cloud when i started the car back up... i wonder if i did something wrong. i will admit that i did stall it out a few times when pouring in the first 2/3 of the 8oz cuz i had to pour it kinda quick to prevent it from dribbling down my measuring glass... could this have affected the effectiveness?

on next fillup, i'm gonna put a full can in the fuel tank, and 100-200 miles before my next oil change, i'm gonna put the remaining half can in the crankcase.
Old 08-15-2006, 12:38 PM
Tech Resident

Originally Posted by slayer_taunu
i just seafoamed the top end of my 88 GTA with 144,600 miles on it. i was very suprised that i didnt get a cloud of death. pretty much just got one decent size cloud when i started the car back up... i wonder if i did something wrong. i will admit that i did stall it out a few times when pouring in the first 2/3 of the 8oz cuz i had to pour it kinda quick to prevent it from dribbling down my measuring glass... could this have affected the effectiveness?

on next fillup, i'm gonna put a full can in the fuel tank, and 100-200 miles before my next oil change, i'm gonna put the remaining half can in the crankcase.
as long as you got it in there you should be okay. you can always do it a second time.

glad to hear you guys are having good results
Old 08-15-2006, 06:50 PM
TECH Resident

was bored today so called my buddy up who owns an 86 iroc-z with 120k miles on the clock and told him I had something for us to keep busy for a while. We both did the one can in the gas tank, 1/2 can in the brake booster line, and used throttlebody cleaner to clean the throttlebody out.

His car smoked as we were pouring the seafoam into the line and then when we restarted it, the car smoked instantly and smoked for a mile straight before he could open it up, in which it smoked even more (a white/blue smoke).

My car with now 39k miles on it didnt smoke at all when pouring it in, nor on start up after sitting or at low rpm driving, but the second I opened her up there was a huge cloud of black smoke behind me.

I am glad you made this write up, not only did it give me something to do today, but it benefits my car! Thanks man!
Old 08-15-2006, 07:10 PM
TECH Resident

do a search on seafoam HERE . There are better, although more time consuming ways to clean the inside of your motor...namely a product called AutoRX. The main problem with Seafoam is that it's not very lubricious. This is not a big deal if you don't overdo it and don't leave it in for a long time as mentioned.

Paul
Old 08-15-2006, 07:17 PM
Staging Lane

Lies!
Old 08-15-2006, 07:23 PM
TECH Resident

http://www.auto-rx.com/rms13/

this all started a few years ago when this guy (Aaron) wanted to proove that Auto-RX didn't work like they said....you be the judge, take a look at the pics and the numerical data from before, during and after the Auto-RX cleaning.
Old 08-15-2006, 08:01 PM
Tech Resident

try not to take a sticky off topic, please. if you wanna make an "auto-rx is better than seafoam" thread, please be my guest, but polluting and taking, of all things, a sticky filled with valuable information off topic is a crime in a forum community.

back on topic, guys. keep those experiences coming. i'll be happy to try and answer anymore questions as they come.
Old 08-15-2006, 08:22 PM
TECH Resident

I wasn't trying to take it off topic, as I have used Seafoam before and was happy with the results. I just thought I would inform others about alternate ways of cleaning depending on their situation.
Old 08-15-2006, 09:46 PM
Tech Resident

okay, that's fine, but please do it in a separate thread. this thread is reserved for seafoam experiences, questions and as a tutorial only. i'm not trying to be mean at all, i just don't want this to get off topic.

Quick Reply: How To Seafoam Your Car