General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

a/c leak

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2006, 01:14 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default a/c leak

I had my freon refilled and the a/c is back to blowing hot air again. When i had it filled up (months ago) they told me to bring it back because there might be a leak but I knew they would rape me on price to fix the leak. I just want to fix it myself and then take it in there to get it refilled again (probably for free). Is there a certain place where leaks usually occur, like on the hoses or anything. Any tips would be appreciated.
Old 07-01-2006, 03:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

It's hard to say where it could be leaking, could be leaking at any gasket or o-ring. I imagine they want you to come back because they put dye in the system to help detect/find a leak.

Even if you do find a leak, you still still have to empty the system, pull a vacuum and recharge it...so you will still need to take it somewhere to get that done.

Most leak around the orifice tube fitting or at the pressure switch's.
Old 07-02-2006, 06:02 PM
On The Tree

I'm going through the same thing on my wife's car.

Some Auto shops that specialize in AC have this sniffer thing that detects the R134a freon leaks (quicker than the dye method).

Unfortunately my wife's car is leaking at the AC clutch/pulley seal. Looks like I'm going to have to replace the AC compressor...
Old 07-02-2006, 06:37 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Referigerant has oil in it - so I'd look at all the connections you can get to and look for any oil film/dirt accumulation. Another option is buy a recharge kit (with the dye in it) and try recharging it yourself. Doesn't sound like a big leak if it's been months and you've been using it.